Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TPS ooops funky AFR couldn\'t tune boost . problem solved?

Hehehe so .. here's the scoop . tuning for WOT hadn't been a problem . but when i tried to road tune for daily driving, the AFR would be all over the map ..

well yah judging by my topic subject you know the problem ..

last night i plugged in the predidititotor to check the TPS voltage and it was IDLE at 4.4 volts (sometimes 3.6v) ... and WOT at 4.8... for those of you who don't know, it should idle at around 0.7 or 0.9 volts.

grrrrrr

so since no dealer is open at midnight, i took it apart and cleaned it with rubbing alcohol cause it was a bit grungy .. then i took it for a spin ..

HOLY MOTHER OF JESUS!!! it was a demon . i don't think i've expierenced that area of the tune before . because the TPS never got me down into that map ..

FUNNY how the smallest thing i never thought of checking.. Silly TPS.. like really, how often do they break? such a simple little potentotmotmtomer

so i startedt he car this morning, and it's busted again .. NO FEAR!! my dealership has one in stock . i'lll have it in at noon

then i can finally finish my tune!... 10 PSI here i come

·
Registered
272 Posts
Re: TPS ooops funky AFR couldn\'t tune boost . problem solved?

so lets see 5 psi, 240 mustang dyno power...10 psi you should be around 300 - 315 mustang dyno power then?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts

so lets see 5 psi, 240 mustang dyno power...10 psi you should be around 300 - 315 mustang dyno power then?
Well hell with the headwork done to his car I'd expect at least 375whp out of 10 lbs of Jackson boost.

·
Dyno Queen
7,859 Posts

Well hell with the headwork done to his car I'd expect at least 375whp out of 10 lbs of Jackson boost.
I don't think that the m62 could flow for 375whp.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

i'd like to see a bit under to 300 wheels . with a leaner tune i can imagine over 300, but i'll keep it a bit fat and play with ignition timing instead to compensate for the aircharge @ 10 psi .

my headwork is quite exensive with larger valves, ports, and he even uses water to verify the correct airflow. he did an amazing job on it . i'm forever in debt to what he's done for my svt focus.

and i've seen pics of toms head too and he also does a great job . i'd like to see more people running with his ports.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts

That was sarcasm.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts

how often can one break? I dont know but it happened to me as well. All the car did was idle at 3,000 rpms everytime i stopped. I would'nt even have to give it gas to go i could let the clutch out and it would drive it's self. Put a new TPS in and never been better.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

That was sarcasm.
you're not the first person to challenge the dyno #'s of my car. I'm pretty co-operative . What else would u like to see to help you beleive the accuracy?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

how about my stock dyno # ? on the same dyno . different company name back then thoguh ..

·
Registered
272 Posts

That was sarcasm.
you're not the first person to challenge the dyno #'s of my car. I'm pretty co-operative . What else would u like to see to help you beleive the accuracy?
well maybe you should go dyno on a dynojet.
put it to bed. your mustang dyno numbers look inflated to me.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts

That was sarcasm.
well maybe you should go dyno on a dynojet.
put it to bed. your mustang dyno numbers look inflated to me.
Anyone can post numbers from an ill-calibrated dyno. There's no way 5 lbs of non-intercooled boost nets you 240 whp unless God himself ported and polished your head. I sthere something you're not telling us?

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts

Gotta think of it this way;

Stock SVT JRSC = 205/210whp(roughly, average)

He has a full3in Exhaust working for him and also headwork. Now, a really well done head job, along with custom tuning(as opposed the JR black box) and nicely flowing exhaust couldn't net him 25/30whp?

I'm not saying that it might not be a little off, but I am just betting it's not by a whole lot

Also, DJ, I wanted to ask. With your exhaust and headwork, what is your boost actually read?

I know it's a 'true' 5psi, but what is the real world psi with the better efficiency?

- Drew

·
Registered
5,141 Posts

a really well done head job

nice

·
Registered
6,179 Posts

Also, DJ, I wanted to ask. With your exhaust and headwork, what is your boost actually read?

I know it's a 'true' 5psi, but what is the real world psi with the better efficiency?

- Drew
Huh? PSI is a meaningless measure with a PD SC once you have altered flow capabilities of the downstream components.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

well i'm glad someone has caught on

the cfm of the head has obvoiusly been increased . the exhaust doubly so . 5 psi manifold pressure means i have 5 psi of "boost" left over from what the sc can supply with the 3.6" pulley . stock on 3.6" it's about 7 psi at 7,000 rpm . my motor is using 2 psi more air then it did before because of the altered flow.

boost is just a messurement of air your motor hasn't been able to use it . it's manifold pressure . i'm at 3800 ft which is approx 12 psi atmospheric pressure . (vs 15 psi = 1 bar at sea level) . 5 psi manifold pressure for me is only 17 psi . at sea level this thing is a monster, i've been to seatle a few months ago and it was fun

i'm never going to admit any dyno in the world is entirely accurate . and i gave you a number off my dyno . that's what you see, accept it or don't .

i'll give you 1/4 mile scans soon as i can get out to one . no fret

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts

- Drew
Huh? PSI is a meaningless measure with a PD SC once you have altered flow capabilities of the downstream components.
My 2.5in Exhaust/header on my JRSC dropped my boost from 10/11psi to 8/9psi.

- Drew

·
Registered
6,179 Posts

- Drew
My 2.5in Exhaust/header on my JRSC dropped my boost from 10/11psi to 8/9psi.

- Drew
Right, that is my point. PSI from a PD SC is not a meainingful measure. That is whay I don't understand what you mean by "'true' psi" versus "real world psi".

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts

Oh, I gotcha.

Since DJ had extensive head/exhaust work. I thought he was to mean 5psi as a measure and not what it really was. I thought he meant, that since the kit did 5psi on a stock motor, that he was just using it as a form of measure and not actually what the boost gauge still read.

But, he noted that is still very much up in the 5psi range, so my understand was very wrong.

Oops

- Drew

·
Registered
6,179 Posts

Cool. I just wanted to mkae sure that the maximum power from the lowest boost is best.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

u got it!

imagine how much air my blower would need to supply to build 5 psi on a 5.4L ... it couldn't do it

i quote the 5 psi in my sig because to reference the 3.6" pulley . to understand that my head is flowing that much more air . i guess i just put that in so if you know the stock boost of the jrsc 3.6" m62, then u'd know my headflow has increased dramatically

1 - 20 of 20 Posts