Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Traction loss on Conti\'s...?..?

My father drives an SVT. Here in Houston it hasn't rained for weeks. The car is an 04 with approx. 20000miles. The other day it poured and the stock continentals suddenly do not have any wet weather traction at all. They've done really well in the past, but now they have no traction in wet . Tread condition is about 40% remaining./ maybe a bit less, they aren't down to the legal tread bar as yet. Has anyone here experienced this with these tires?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Re: Traction loss on Conti\'s...?..?

That's common with almost any tire, after a long dry spell when it does rain oil and other stuff float up off of the roads surface making it sorta slick.

·
Registered
97 Posts

Yeah, what Orange says. Once it rains for a while it'll be better. The Connies are great in the wet. We haven't had rain on over a month, that'll screw up the roads good once it does rain.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts

When the Conti's get down past 50% the wet weather handeling starts to go away. When they are new they are good but I have noticed that when they ware they don't handel the heavy rain well.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts

They will also loose overall traction over time/wear, after being subjected to many heat cycles, and with the effects of ozone/chemicals/directs sunlight...
Mine are noticable less grippy now (80% done), but I'm looking forward to a new set of Conti's!

·
Registered
887 Posts

my advice - get rid of the Conti's as soon as possible.

I thought I liked them until I switched to the Kumho Escta MX's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts