Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have or had a trailer hitch installed on their SVT focus? Do the ones for the ZX3 work on the SVT?

My guess is that not many people have this. I couldn't find any information on this when I searched. It's not something I want to have on the back of my car either, but I need it because I will be moving out of state. I want to be able to pull a U-haul trailer.

·
Registered
991 Posts
yeah...ive heard of a few ppl that have them but none on here yet, im goin put one on mine for a bikerack
but ive been told that you can barley even tell cause of the way the bumper is set up..also you will prob need to cut a small piece out of the bottem...good luck

·
Registered
404 Posts
I smoked "literally the Transmission smoked" a Honda Accord Auto transmission towing a U-Haul trailer! I went from Tampa Florida to North Carolina. I had to keep my speed below 55MPH to keep the Trans from overheating too much, and cause the car to rev and not move

Morale to story, don't use a 4CYL to tow... at least not 1,500 pounds
I was such an idiot. Serioulsy though, if you go to a UHAUL store, they usually will sell the exact trailer hitch and ball you would use with your car. The one for my Accord had costed 179.00. They will be more than happy to install it also

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Does anyone have or had a trailer hitch installed on their SVT focus? Do the ones for the ZX3 work on the SVT?

My guess is that not many people have this. I couldn't find any information on this when I searched. It's not something I want to have on the back of my car either, but I need it because I will be moving out of state. I want to be able to pull a U-haul trailer.
My research last year on this suggested that the usual suspects do not make a hitch setup for the SVTF. The problem is the lower rear grill and the shape of the bumper. The ZX3 options do not fit off-the-shelf.

No SVTF solution exists from DrawTite, Hidden Hitch, or Da'Lan. I pinged the TireTail guys, DrawTite, and Hidden Hitch. None have plans for such a solution.

However, if you are willing to cut into your bumper, or purchase a salvage bumper cover for this purpose, you can do a custom deal (which I have seen on this forum). You will just wind up having a slot either in the bumper or through the grill or something. There is also some welding to extended the hidden hitch tongue or something.

I think getting a beater bumper cover might be a decent solution. If you get a ZX3 beater bumpper cover for temp usage, I bet you can use the stock ZX3 hitch solution (just speculation).

Search the forum archive and you'll find some stuff.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
The hitch will be at the height of the black grill of the rear bumper. The black grill is removable. So there is no real reason to get a used bumper cover.
Eh. That's an easier solution! But I would have SWORN I saw somebody here that went through the middle of the bumper cover with a slot to attach the exposed tongue to the hidden part.

·
Banned
1,031 Posts
I would DEFINATELY haul the focus on the back of a U-haul and not tow with it but that's up to you

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would DEFINATELY haul the focus on the back of a U-haul and not tow with it but that's up to you
That's my other option. I was just hoping to throw away all my junk and not have to worry about driving a U-haul for 2000+ miles. I don't think I'm gonna have enough stuff to fill up even a 10 foot truck, but I have more than I can fit in the focus.

I used to have a 4-cylinder ranger, and so I didn't think 4 cylinders would have a problem towing a small trailer.

I might listen to you guys and just get a truck and tow the focus. That way I could keep the 2000 miles off my car, too.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I would not even think about towing a trailer with a SVTF, the first gear is just too tall and the clutch will take a beating. Once you get it moving it might not be that bad but if you ever get stuck in traffic or have to start on a hill you will toast the clutch.

How about shipping all your stuff and drive the SVT across the country, I'll bet it would be cheaper than renting a U Haul and feeding it $2.50 worth of gas every 6 miles. About $850 worth of fuel in the truck and about $180 in the SVTF, on top of the fact you will be lucky to AVERAGE 55 MPH in the truck over the length of the trip.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I might listen to you guys and just get a truck and tow the focus. That way I could keep the 2000 miles off my car, too.
I must not have been paying attention when I originally posted to you. The advice you are getting about avoiding towing with the Focus is good. Obsessed as I am with track applications, I was thinking small trailer carrying 4 wheels/tires and a tool box.

Persoanlly, unless touring the country is an objective, I would just put it in a moving van with the furniture and stuff -- then fly with the other cattle to the remote destination. Since you don't have much stuff, it will take a while to arrive (as the truck will make MANY stops along the way), but you can rent a car a get to know the neighborhood.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
Instead of towing a trailer with your Focus. You might want to think about renting a truck and car dolly and towing the car behind. I think that will be your best bet in the long run

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
The Drawtite hitch for the Focus hatchback is easily modified to fit the SVT - drill 2 new holes and cut a notch for the muffler to clear, add a few washers as spacers for the torque arm on the frame rail. I didn't want to mod my rear valance, so the hitch exits right under the honeycomb, actually touching it. This works great for the bike rack or for a LIGHTWEIGHT trailer.

I wouldn't recommend towing much with ANY 4 cyl, FWD car, especially long distances. There just isn't enough weight - ends up "wag the dog" - and it is hard on the drivetrain.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Towing a U-Haul trailer would be bad news with this car. The enclosed ones are too heavy.

I have a hitch setup for a bike rack. I opted to modify the rear difuser to fit around the hitch, and picked up a spare difuser from another Jetter for when the hitch is off the car.

Works pretty sweet for me, but I'd not want to tow anything, unless it was very light weight (500 - 600lbs). And even then, I wouldn't want to tow it too far.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Instead of towing a trailer with your Focus. You might want to think about renting a truck and car dolly and towing the car behind. I think that will be your best bet in the long run
This set up is very common on the highways. I just drove cross country and a saw plenty of folks towing their cars behind rental trucks, either on a flat bed or with a dolly. Of coiurse this is budget driven, but you'll sleep better at night.

My SVTF hauled an additional 400 lbs of boxes in the hatch on my move. It would have been more, but I had to keep one rear seat open for a kid. Certainly less zippy when used as a truck

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Obsessed as I am with track applications, I was thinking small trailer carrying 4 wheels/tires and a tool box.
Now you're talking! I went to my first AutoX a month ago and I saw a Corvette hauling a trailer for this very reason. If I get into the AutoX thing, I will definitely do this. Especially of I can hide the hitch behind the honeycomb when not in use.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
I see a lot of different people doing this. If you are going to the track all the time then I think it is a good idea. Unless you can afford a truck and trailer to haul your car around. However most of us are not in that league

·
Registered
293 Posts
Just IMO but if you have clearance problems with the rear grille you could probably replace it with the SVT style grille that is modified for a center exit Borla exhaust... slicky slick.

·
Stoned Scorpion says, "GET OVER H.....OOhhh! Brown
11,972 Posts
get a truck!!! thats what there made for!!! not SVTF!!! dont ruiin the back bumper cover for an ugly hitch. Well its up to you send pics if you sucessfully install it.

-SPATAKULA

1 - 18 of 18 Posts