Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 01 zx3 5 sp manual and i keep getting a sever klunk while in a right trun . nothing in a left turn . my local dealer said it was a moter mount and a trans mount. a friend and mechanic/ ford nut said it is a internal problem and not the moter mounts. I am going to a trans mechanic on tuesday just thought i would post a queery and see if any one has had a similar problem or lnows if it has been recalled or any info would be appriciated . thanks alot

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
i have a 01 zx3 5 sp manual and i keep getting a sever klunk while in a right trun . nothing in a left turn . my local dealer said it was a moter mount and a trans mount. a friend and mechanic/ ford nut said it is a internal problem and not the moter mounts. I am going to a trans mechanic on tuesday just thought i would post a queery and see if any one has had a similar problem or lnows if it has been recalled or any info would be appriciated . thanks alot
First things first, check the lug nuts to make sure they're tight. That's exactly what happens when they're loose. But it's also the same thing that happens with a failing CV Joint, a bad wheel bearing, and occasionally, a bad differential.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
an update for those interested at first the ford dealer said it was a tranny mount (160.00) and a engine mount (90.00) i ordered a mount where i work part time (auto zone )and went to install it. it was the top mount under the breather box, it was ok just like new in fact. it was the lower torque strut that was shown to me as bad. (101.00) i found a energy suspension replacement bushing for (19.99+9.99 s&h) fixes the problem nicely . Inface they have a kit for all bushings on front end for 119.99=s&h what a dealthis turned into a 30.00 soultion instead of a 350.00 problen at ford

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: tranny klunking - Up date

after taking my focus to local ford dealer. they replaced the lower engine mount and the problem got worse alot worse. It turns out the previous owner was a fan of doing burnouts , so it was the differential that was slaughtered badly slaughtered. i wish i had a camara i would send pictures. total bill was 1154.98 wallet had massive heart attack but will survive with treatment ( next two paychecks ) Have a good one you all

·
Registered
5,396 Posts

omgsh ford charged you $1150 to change the diff? i fear my dff might be out...... not feeling too good about that bill...... still have to check everything first before i come to any conclusions though

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts

talk to terry haines if you need a new diff. You can get a quaife for about 600 bucks. Send your old box in and get the quaife installed. I wouldnt be suprised if it cost less than the Ford OEM piece of [censored] replacement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts