Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, has ANYONE modified their tranny(clutch, quaife, 4.06 gears, flywheel, and did NOT get that chattering aftermath affect? EVERYONE in their mama that i know that has done any of this, has a HUGE chatter with teh clutch out, push it in and its gone. WTF is this? I would hate to have this after i rebuild my tranny. WTF is goin on????????

Can someone please shed some light on this before i go tearin my tranny apart?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I would like to know too, I thought I did something wrong on the install. Guess not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't think that's the sound these guys are hearing. The throw out bearing IS loud on the Focus, since it is a plastic piece. But my boy just got the FocusSport fly installed at the dealership and there is a LOUD chattering when the gear is engaged, from low to high rpm. The car had the chatering before, but not this loud or constant. The dealership thinks it is a pinion that needs replacement, but he won't get that done for a few more miles (Freakin' ford doesn't have a loaner car program !)

So finally I hear that it is happening to others ! I have a post referencing this w/ the FS fly on this page too.

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
people keep saying its normal or its the throwout bearings

Im talking about people WHO didnt have it before but DID have it after the mods

Thats what i mean. i know they are loud on our cars ...blablabla

But it wasnt there before, and now it is.

Im not talking about a slight noise or grind, its a CLEAR chattering, like someone threw some rocks in the tranny and gears. thats what i mean, its a Distinct difference from before. and they ARE replacing the throwout bearings and all, so whats wrong with the new ones? They are new...

The only car that doesnt have it, surprisingly, i think, is jons car, but his car is always perfect...i hate that

Im starting to think its 1 of the aftermarket parts and quiet frankly, its starting to piss me off...seems like nothing aftermarket on this car DOESNT have a sideeffect and its driving me nuts.

i dont want to start on my drivetrain till this is figured out. It is NOT normal if any of you have ever heard of, and its not something i am willing to live with because that sort of sound just doesnt sound healthy and sure as hell isnt helping the already crappy trany
That noise just sounds like something is getting torn apart over time...

[ 09-06-2002: Message edited by: nazthug ]

[ 09-06-2002: Message edited by: nazthug ]</p>

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Even though it's impossible to have a "noises" discussion on the board because so many may be different perhaps we can narrow it down.

Is their any people that have the "clutch out in neutral chatter" stock? upgraded clutch? flywheel only? Flywheel/4.o6? Flywheel/4.06/upgraded clutch?

I have the FocusSport flywheel/4.06 with a stock clutch. It didn't "chatter" stock to my recollection (besides that ol' gear rollover in first) but I've subsequently removed 15lbs of rotating mass by changing the flywheel. I assumed the heavier stock wheel simply has a sort of "dampening" effect when the input shaft is receiving load, but the tranny is in neutal. With the "pie tin" light flywheel installed this dampening effect is gone- but what is the exact source of the chatter is beyond me. I have just heard other light flywheel cars make *similar* sounds.

I am fairly certain that this is the "source" of what I considered "chatter" and sounds related to clutch changes or the final drive are something else.

Any other thoughts / observations / quips / limericks??????????

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
repost

[ 09-06-2002: Message edited by: ZXmurph ]</p>

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
see. murph ...this isnt a small, barely audible noise that sometimes is there and sometimes isnt

This is a CLEAR noise, let the clutch out and its CHATTERING constantly , in rhythm, very loud, almost seems like there is a gear that fell off and just jumping around in there

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by nazthug:
see. murph ...this isnt a small, barely audible noise that sometimes is there and sometimes isnt

<hr></blockquote>

I understand that, and I do have a *constant* "chattering" IMO clutch out in neutral. As I shared, I think it's flywheel related and doesn't have anything to do with the final drive or quaife. That was the reason for my mutiple questions above for the EXACT changes an individual has made above so we can have some reasonable process of elimination.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Jay:
-Centerforce DF
-Stock flywheel, re-surfaced (Machined)
-new Clutch Slave cylinder

I have the clanking problem, that goes away after pressing on the clutch and letting go.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Jay.......I don't know if it's good news or bad and for whom, but my chatter would be clutch out in neutral only. no other times or "changes"

Me
stock clutch
FocusSport Flywheel
4.06/quaife

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
We had it with our(since been replaced with stock)Clutchmaster Stage 1 Clutch.

Constant Chattering in Neutral with Clutch Out. Also amplified the 'Tractor Tanny Syndrome'

But all has been good with a new stock clutch in place.

BUT - We have heard it about 10 different times with the Stock Clutch.

I'm sayin throw-out bearing.

drew
fok

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i actually think its the clutch

Heres why
back in the days FC made a discovery with all aftermarket clutches where there was something wrong with the center piece of the clutch, it was too thick or to narrow or something to that extent, where it was constantly rubbing up on something..maybe nader can explain a bit more about what dennis discovered

I really really cant imagine it being the flywheel

I mean, WHAT is clanking in the flywheel? True its lighter, but other than that, what, are there marbles inside of it i didnt know about? If its the right size and all, WEIGHT shouldnt have ANY impact on that sort of noise, unless its not round or something and its hitting the tranny case...i doubt its the flywheel

I think its all the aftermarket clutches that have this 1 minor issue that they havent caught yet

Guess what? Jon doesnt have the clutter and he is teh ONLY one who knew about this clutch problem and did something to fix it, maybe thats why his doesnt clatter

Hmm...maybe i can call and ask him or something...

Howerver, i really dont think its the flywheel, do you see what im getting at here murph? I just dont see a way it can make that noise, no way

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The only weird thing is that you seem to have this noise but you have a stock clutch, unless your noise is the throw out bearing that went bad after you pulled the tranny

Because Drews car had this noise when they replaced JUST the clutch, stock flywheel

THe search continues, but i really want to find the answer and hopefully a fix

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Mine only has this noise in NEUTRAL as well.

Doesn't Jon have the Powertone or some company like that's clutch? I have not heard of anyone else who has that clutch! Maybe that is why!

·
Registered
830 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jays2000ZX3:
Jay:I have the clanking problem, that goes away after pressing on the clutch and letting go.<hr></blockquote>

I have that too, but my car is so loud I cant hear it...
but it always been there and its all good. well, not that bad to my eyes... there is way worst than that at other places...

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Naz, we have to check out our individual noises, that's why I shared that thread like these are so difficult.

I KNOW it's not physically the flywheel itself, no way....... agreed, but I explained my perhaps bogus theory of the lighter weight's effects.

You think it's the clutch, and you think it's the the throw-out bearing........either can certainly make sense but until we have two or more cars together in person we're a bit lost.

Jay says his goes away "after pushing on the clutch and letting go" which seems to lean toward throw-out bearing as well.

Naz, curious does Jon have a light flywheel?

I'll try to check multiple car at FS, you do it at FC.

[ 09-06-2002: Message edited by: ZXmurph ]</p>

·
Registered
578 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by nazthug:

Heres why
back in the days FC made a discovery with all aftermarket clutches where there was something wrong with the center piece of the clutch, it was too thick or to narrow or something to that extent, where it was constantly rubbing up on something..maybe nader can explain a bit more about what dennis discovered

<hr></blockquote>

Would this suggest that the clutches FC sells would have this problem fixed?

·
Registered
578 Posts

Heres why

<hr></blockquote>

Would this suggest that the clutches FC sells would have this problem fixed?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts