Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys hope you can help me. I have a 2002 zx3, zetec, 5 spd. tranny. I have 35k miles and it seems that my shifter is pretty stiff going into gears. NOT REAL BAD,.....YET. i am dropping the car of at the dealership on tuesday for them to check it out, but I asked the guy and he has no idea what it could be. I then asked him what they recommended for changing the tranny fluid, he said they wasn't any. How is that. Ford doesn't recommend it. Could just simply changing the fluid solve the problem. or is it worse like my linkage or syncros.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah I have an OBX short shifter, this shouldn't have anything to do with it. or would it? and should i put the factory one back in before i drop the car off, or not worry about it.
let me know guys thanks.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
maybe its overkill, but I change the tranny fluid every 35K miles. you should always change your fluid. in the back of your owners manual it will tell you how much and what kind to use.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will changing the fluid fix my problem. I guess a good way to describe the shifting, is kind of notchy. I think thats a good word to decribe it.

Any other ideas, should I what to see what the garage says, and should I put the stock shifter back in until they check it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anyone?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
i have a knotchy shifter too, and my car is the same year as yours. I am not due for changing my tranny fluid yet, as i am only at 25,000 KM and i think 50,000 KM is where they recommend to change it. I will call and see what they recommend,

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
the first thing I noticed about the focus on my test drive way back in january 2000 was the shifter kind of popped into gear. I like it. sounds normal, it may be amplified by you short throw perhaps. regardles, you should change your fluid. cheap tranny insurance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts