Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone installed a trans cooler on their ATX yet? I have one on the way but am clueless as to how to install it.

any tips/how-to's would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
lol...man ure tranny is still holdin' on? dam, i decided just to go the rest for show and not risk mine anymore...gettin a TT or Mazda6 in 2 years so the next dummy who buys my car and blow it away...good luck bro
-chris

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol... yeah man... the stock tranny is still hangin on... some days it wont engage gears at all, others it's like a champ

I have much more up my sleeve... all in due time (or in other words... when i can afford it!)

·
Registered
254 Posts
i want to know this too, im finna get a new stock tranny and i want to start with a tranny cooler.
what kind did you get, how much, from where?

·
Registered
112 Posts
its not hard there are only 2 lines that go in and both are held on by normal hose clamps. the hardest part will probabally be the mounting. If the kit actually for the focus then it will be very easy i would guess

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have a tranny cooler.
On your stock cooler the bottom line is the trans out line and your new cooler should be hooked up the same way. And those lines are stubborn to get off.
There is room between the Rad and AC condenser for a 3/4" cooler. It's been recomended to trash the stock cooler and do a fluid change when you hook up a new cooler. Plate style is best.
Get the biggest honk'n cooler you can fit up there! It's the best thing you can do for your tranny!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im gettin the cooler from someone who had bought it for their old GT but never used it. I only paid $35, but have no clue what the usual costs are.

Thanks for the info leadfoot

·
Registered
662 Posts
Ford Racing sells an ATX cooler, as I recall somewhere around $40. I don't have a 2003 catalog in front of me at the moment though, so I can't say the exact price.

I've been meaning to put one on my car

I'll check the catalog tomorrow and let you guys know the price.

Also, B&M makes a number of different size ATX coolers, which I can get as well

[ 03-20-2003, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: myFordPerformance.com ]

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
direct bolt on??? can this mod be done without a tranny flush???? MUY interested

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
*bump*
these threads always die when I get interested

·
Registered
328 Posts
ahhh, i want one too for my tranny. someone post info on a larger intercooler. thanks.

·
Registered
376 Posts
will this prevent me from feeling the heat from under the hood when i have the window down?

and how did you guys mess up your tranny's?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jilla... too much power and hard driving will kill the stock ATX real quick.

I blew up one w/ just bolt-one, got a new one and got a supercharger and #2 is dying real quick too... im hoping this trans cooler will prolong it's life a bit.

as for feeling heat from under the hood w/ the windows down... i dont think im following you? try pressing the recirc button to close off your vents maybe???

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
dammit, what all is involved in this install, I hate paying for stuff I can do

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
that EC system looks pretty sweet

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
HELL YES, especially considering how I almost owned a Street Stock bracket series with a brand new transmission straight out of its break in period and the only thing that kept me from winning was the stupid transmission overheating.....

so anything that keeps it cooler at the track is a big plus to me....even if it does little or nothing for actual performance

1 - 20 of 26 Posts