Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know the location of the oil fill and drain plugs for the SVT tranny. I see a black plug with a hex wrench hole in it on the lower bumper side of the tranny, can any one confirm if this is the drain plug? I do not however see any filler plug on that side except for on the top of the tranny by the battery tray there are two bolts/plugs right next to each other. One is raised and the other is flush with the tranny casing. Are one of these the filler plugs. They seem kind of high. How do you check level of the oil on this tranny. I am used to the oil filler hole also being the oil level check hole like on the MTX-75 tranny where you unbolt it and stick you finger in the hole to see if there is oil just below the plug. If any one has drained and filled their tranny before your help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BadIdea said:
The drain is on the right side of transmission by the dog bone transmission mount. The fill is on the front, very low on the transmission.
Thanks for the help. Any idea of the torque specs for these plugs?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Can someone tell me the type of oil recomended for the 04svtf trans. and amount. I don't have an owner's man. Thanks.

·
Ninjas>Pirates
603 Posts
^^^haha that's sure to start a debate^^^

I'm about to use royal purple for mine. I hear good things about it but pretty much everyone has their own opinion.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Eagle60 said:
Can someone tell me the type of oil recomended for the 04svtf trans. and amount. I don't have an owner's man. Thanks.
2.1 quarts. I'm sure you'll get lots of recommendations as to brand and type. :D Personally I'm using the Redline Synthetic D4 ATF which is also used by a lot of locals in both the regular and SVT manual transmissions. :thumbup:

Ron

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
I'd reco Redline D4( www.focussport.com ) or GM/Pennzoil Syncomesh w/ Ford friction modifier :thumbup:

- Drew

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
SVTF_170 said:
Where is the dipstick to check current fluid level?
This isn't an ATX ;)

- Drew

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
focusownerskid said:
This isn't an ATX ;)

- Drew
ATX's arn't the only transmissions with dipsticks, my other getrag 5 speed has a dipstick. Ford went the cheap route and didn't give us one. You check it by removing the FILL plug and sticking your finger in. If you can feel fluid you are ok.

·
Registered
603 Posts
anyone doing this make sure to open up the fill cap first before you drain out the fluid.

Its not ford at fault its the german company who made it

·
Registered
25 Posts
Primaris said:
ATX's arn't the only transmissions with dipsticks, my other getrag 5 speed has a dipstick. Ford went the cheap route and didn't give us one. You check it by removing the FILL plug and sticking your finger in. If you can feel fluid you are ok.
Thank you

·
Registered
111 Posts
I still dont know where the fill is... (I feel kinda dumb)

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
dannyrod20 said:
I still dont know where the fill is... (I feel kinda dumb)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Eagle60 said:
The factory recommend oil for the SVT focus 6speeed getrag is a "full synthetic manual transmission fluid" Part number XT-M5-QS (see this link http://focus.noegruts.com/trannyoil/trannyoil.htm for details about how to drain and fill the tranny. The procedure is based on the regular focus mtx-75 tranny but all the steps apply except for the exact location of the drain and fill plugs, for that refer to the above picks. ) Also the recommended oil is as good as any synthetic oil you can buy in the aftermarket so there is no reason to experiment with other oils that may void your warranty.

To check the oil level open the fill plug located on the front side of the tranny and stick your finger in the hole, you should have some oil on the end of your finger. If not fill till the oil starts comming out of the fill hole. Note the car needs to be on fairly flat surface or it will give you an incorrect level. There fore if the front of the car is jacked up then you must also jack up the rear an equal amount, to get a proper oil level reading. The likely hood of the oil needing refilling is slim unless you have a tranny oil leak some where. Trannys do not burn oil like an engine does.

Also the maintenance manual does not mention a recommend milage for replacing the tranny fluid, but for normal driving I would recommend the oil be changed every 100,000 kms or 60,000 miles. You can change it more often for racing or severe duty, but be for warned the oil is not cheap. $120.00 cdn for 3 liters.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Its a 1/2" socket size. Just put your wrench end in there with no socket on it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts