Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a real hard time trying to get into reverse. I push it all the way over, and try to go up, but it doesn't want to go. Usually if I let off the clutch a bit it will grind into gear, but that is not good. My other alternantive is to get back into neutral, move the shifter around for a bit, then try it again, and it will go in just fine. I don't like this at all. All I have done is a Steeda Short Shifter, is this causing my problems? It sounds more like a synchro (sp?) problem than a SS problem. Can some one help me out, please?

·
Registered
239 Posts
If it was working correctly before the Shifter change and now is not, my guess is something is not adjusted right. Sounds like the the cable for the side-to-side motion (across the gate) may not be moving the lever on the transaxle all the way into the reverse gate. If it is not all the way into the gate it will not allow you to engage the gear. Do all the other gears work ok?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
yeah, if it just happened after the install, check the cables that attach to the shifter. maybe one is not all the way on.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have had the shifter on for more than 4 months and it just recently started doing it. Also while driving today, it kicked me out of 2nd gear twice, and wan making a mix between a grunting sound and a chuffing sound when I was shifting between 1st and 2nd.

I have had no MAJOR problems with the car so far, I have 12800 miles. I never had it in for the DSI cable or anything serious. I had it reflashed to RLA6 to cure a bit of low temp stumbling and some mid range surging, but that's about it. I have no other engine mods, so I hope it is nothing serious.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I'm not doubting you in anyway, but how do you go about getting it into reverse?

I usually make a quick snap (from neutral) and it pop's right into gear. If you slowly move it to the gate and try to pressure it into gear then you're going to have problems.

Otherwise, pull the console off and check if anythings binding up.

·
Banned
147 Posts
My car was in the shop because I couldn't get it into any gear one day. I had it towed, and 30 minutes later it worked just fine.

I've also had the problem with it not going into reverse. If I pick a different gear, and then go back to reverse, it will work fine.

I'm not too impressed with the transmission thus far.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Two days ago I couldn't get out of 1st gear (while driving down the road). The shifter just wouldn't come out, no grinding sound (I had the clutch in). I clutched in and out about 5 times and then it finally came out of 1st and I was able to put it into 2nd.

It was weird. I'm just glad it didn't cause an accident.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am finding out that when the shifter sticks in gear (most popular has been the 1st to 2nd shift), if I blip the throttle with the clutch in and pull, it shifts to 2nd ok.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not doubting you in anyway, but how do you go about getting it into reverse?

I usually make a quick snap (from neutral) and it pop's right into gear. If you slowly move it to the gate and try to pressure it into gear then you're going to have problems.

Otherwise, pull the console off and check if anythings binding up.
I usually snap it in to reverse, except for when it gets there it does not want to go up into reverse.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts