Ford Focus Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
More of a rattle and mine isn't so subtle. It's basically in the lower RPM range when letting out the clutch from a stop. It's especially prominent during city driving. The car sounds like it has a diesel engine. It's rather faint when idling, and when the cluth is in, the sound goes away.

· Registered
1 Posts
When I'm accelerating, especially from a stop, I'm hearing a subtle grinding in the lower RPMs, rattling noise. It sounds like it's coming from the transmission. I'm thinking it's possibly the transmission fan or something like that.

Anybody have this strange sound?

I asked the dealer and they gave me the classic "thats normal" routine.

Personally, it drives me crazy and I'd like to get it fixed.

thanks!
Maybe could be the motor mounts, ;)

· Registered
1 Posts
I've also been hearing it really faintly when I'm idling at a stop sign. When I have the clutch pedal in, the noise goes away. This makes me think it's something to do with the tranny. For awhile I thought it was spark knock, but I tried supreme gas and it's still there.
I know it sounds crazy but you are missing the top bolt on your A/C pump or it's loose. Had the same problem and after a a year of troubleshooting finally found that the bolt came loose and fell out. Got a new bolt from O'Reilly's and all is silent. I have no idea why is goes away when pushing in the clutch but I had the exact same issue. All is good now.

· Registered
1,228 Posts
Gear rollover noise quits when clutch pedal is pushed in because the gear only rattles when shafts are loose, they get loaded when the clutch is being used, it puts holdback stress on the input shaft which transfers through the rest of the gear stack.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts