Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a ZX3 and wanted to do a manual Transmission swap, my friend has a civic and also wants a manual instead of his auto. Anyone know where we can get this done, and how much we can expect to pay, or if it is worth all of the trouble?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
My best bet is to do a search and you can find the answer that way. This topic has come up numerous times. It's not that cheap unless you already have a manual tranny from a wrecked focus.

Cost: $2800-$3500. If you do not have the tranny already.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
What I want to know is why people buy automatics and then regret it? Buy the 5sp in the first place and save cash.

Whats the problem here?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would have bought an auto, but the only one that I could find with all of the options I wanted was an AUTO. I totaled my last car and needed something quick, thanks for the remarks though.

·
Registered
206 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 02-ZX3:
I would have bought an auto, but the only one that I could find with all of the options I wanted was an AUTO. I totaled my last car and needed something quick, thanks for the remarks though.
<hr></blockquote>

To be honest I had the same situation except my car was the only hatch within miles and it was an auto.(Sept. 2000, 2001 weren't at dealers yet) I said what the hell I'll treat myself. My wrecked car was an 89 Celica GTS 5 spd and I thought it might be nice to have an auto. I didn't realise I would get bit by the performance bug with the Focus. I was just getting a great looking car I wouldn't mind commuting 80 miles a day with.

So if other's had the same thing it is logical to be curious about the swap. Not all of us went into this with the idea to mod the Focus. Personally I regret every day buying the auto. I had no other choice though except to get a different car.(This decision I do not regret cause auto aside I love the car) I have held off modding for now until I can decide if it is worth it or just wait till I can something different and go into that buy with the right knowledge. Life is just a series of mistakes. We just need to learn from them and not make them again.
There is nothing wrong with trying to fix a mistake.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If anyone takes out their automatic let me know if you're interested in selling it.

Also, we are working on mods for the automatic tranny, so you may want to hold off on the swap. While a factory automatic is a handicap, properly modified they can run with the manuals. We have seen this on mustangs, and I'm sure it can be duplicated on the focus. I have a prototype Precision Industries converter that I hope to be testing in a month or so.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
let me know more about this, I can wait.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree w. LikwidZX3 ...

Personaly I had to buy AUTO because my wife doesn't drive stick ... like LikwidZX3 I regret every day buying the auto (especialy that once I put Borla on wife refuses to drive my car) ... but thats life ...

Greg: what price point are you aiming for with your ATX mods? and any idea on when you expect to have something ready?

·
Registered
210 Posts
It looks like I'll be testing at least the torque converter on June 7th at the Gainesville Fun Ford. I hope to also be running a transmission with some prototype raybestos clutches in it. We also plan to have some means of boosting line pressure and firming up the shifts by then. We haven't decided yet whether we will increase the pressure electrically or hydraulically.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Greg - I am currently researching the tranny swap right now. I have managed to find a few folks who have done similar swaps on ZX2's...which have the same motor/autotranny setup as the focus. My contact is working with me right now and insists that if the tranny and ecu can be acquired at a good rate (and you can do the work yourself) that the whole thing really isn't that hard to make work, or expensive. If everything looks good, I WILL attempt this and will be looking for a buyer on my auto. Also, any knowledge you can contribute to the swap would be greatly appreciated.

Kev
AlaFoci

·
Registered
744 Posts
any news on this?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts