Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am looking at geting new rotors and Pads for my focus. I have the SVT front brake set up. what kind of pad would you use? I do some Drag here and their, but I am mostly into Autocross, and street racing. I am looking at the Hawk Black Brake Pads...if they make then for the SVT rotors and calipers. Any info and help would be great? Also does the whole Zinc Coating help a whole lot on the no-rust on the rotors?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I do some Drag here and their, but I am mostly into Autocross, and street racing.
WTF?

Do you really think it was necessary to even point out that's what they would be used for? As if there is a brake pad specially formulated for street racing!

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well its points out that i might be doing some running from the police....
No reason I guess.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
EBC green is the ideal street racer pad.

Yep...street racer...street ricer...whatever...

For a neato street pad I've recently heard great things about the Carbotech Bobcat: www.carbotecheng.com

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just spent 3 hours last night reading the long post about the Why Cross/Slotted rotors and people who have had the EBC say they will never us them again.

What about the other Carbotech pads -
Panther +
XP8
XP9
XP10

I could not find any thing on their web site about what the applications would be for them. SO another question, would their be any thing wrong with geting the Hawk Blue pads even though they are meant for all race aplications? what would be the + and - of them. Yea they are more but would they work better and last longer?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Well, the EBC blank rotors from BAT Inc. are a good SVT rotor replacement. I replaced my pads with some more stock SVT pads after I had problems with the Mintex 1144's - but they may have the problem cleared up by now. I had good luck with the stock SVT pads on the road course. But yes, people do tend to like the Carbotechs.

Carbotech Thread

Mintex 1144 thread

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
The problem with using race pads on a street car is you will wear out the rotor way fast.

I don't feel like typing out why. It has to do with way brakes work, the transfer layer, and heat. If you are interested in the why grassroots had the why earlier this year.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
The problem with a full race pad will possibly be the heat range they are meant to operate in. A full race pad is generally meant to operate at a much higher temp than a street pad. This will lead to some scary long stops when the brakes are cold.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
The problem with a full race pad will possibly be the heat range they are meant to operate in. A full race pad is generally meant to operate at a much higher temp than a street pad. This will lead to some scary long stops when the brakes are cold.
Not at all true atleast with the xp9's. Ran 'em all winter and they worked better than oem on the 1st stop in the freezing cold.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I'm sorry.

There evidently may be exceptions to this rule.

For instance I run Hawk HP+ and while they are a fairly aggressive pad for day to day use, I do not have any problems with them in the cold. I, however, would probably not run Hawk Blue on the street.

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
EBC green is the ideal street racer pad.

I laughed so loud at this I may have frightened other people.

Right before I read this, I was thinking what an idiot the thread starter sounded like for even saying things like s/r and running from t3h po po.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Not at all true atleast with the xp9's. Ran 'em all winter and they worked better than oem on the 1st stop in the freezing cold.
XP9's are currently on the front of my car. They stop better cold then the Mintex A/F's do. But they're noisy as hell and I imagine they're not doing much good for the rotors. Gotta get them swapped out sometime this weekend.

·
Faster than a Cobra
16,008 Posts
I just replaced the pads on my SVTF with.......OEM Ford SVTF pads. After reading many threads I found that the OEM pad is a great compromise of braking ability, life, noise, and the only thing you have to put up with is brake dust.

Unless you track your car a LOT and hard, stick with the OEM SVTF pads. My first set were replaced at 51,000 miles plus I had 16 autocrosses on them.........they still had over 50% of their thickness left.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I dont have the whole story but the guy who had the focus before me wanted to make the ZX3 into an SVT with all the suspention and brak bods and exhaust and all what else. But the rotors have about a 1/16 to almost 1/8 of a lip on the outer edge and their are groves you can feel with your fingers all the way along the Rotors. So with this both the pads and the Rotors are gone. So should I just get all Stock SVT replacements? Or spend a little more $$$ and get some better pads and Better Rotors if any one makes better rotors...?

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Hawk Blues on street = putting rotor on lathe.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Arent the top two only the Brembo breaks? they are both for Non SVT. The only ones for the SVT are at the bottom. Are they still Brembo brakes though?

So get the Ford Focus SVT OE Quality Vented Rotor. No slotted.
Item # - FS072 from http://www.focussport.com/rotors.htm

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I'd guarantee (based on my experience w/XP8's, which have a colder range) you that Carbotech's street compound (Bobcat) would give you even better cold stops, without punishing your rotors as much. In fact, the Bobcat is freakishly rotor-friendly.

There evidently may be exceptions to this rule.

For instance I run Hawk HP+ and while they are a fairly aggressive pad for day to day use, I do not have any problems with them in the cold.
Yeah, but the HP+'s are a compromise pad that's meant to be driven on the street, and they are *definitely* not a race pad. They're not great on the street, and they're not great on the track. But they do...ok for both. (yes, I've used 'em before)

A good high-perf street pad, like Carbotech's Bobcat, is going to do better than most OEM pads AND most race pads on the street.

FWIW, when I asked one of the guys at Carbotech what rotors they use on their cars - the answer was 'whatever's cheap.' But-but-but don't they crack? "Sure, they crack a little on the surface - but we haven't had one *break*" You should assess your own comfort level with stress-cracked rotors, but I'm of the opinion that mail-ordering Brembos (and paying shipping on giant lumps of iron) is a silly waste of money, particularly for a non-race car.

Call Carbotech. They're friendly, they're helpful, and they make some excellent brake pads.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts