Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to remove my rear panels to install koni's and I am having a hell of a time getting them to line up and go back on. Is there any trick to putting in one side first before the other?

I have an SVT with the audiophile system so my left panel is a little different as it includes the speaker cover.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Jay, do you remember how you got them off? I had to do the same thing when I installed my Rear Strut Bar. The speaker panel is the easy one to get in. Just fit it around the speaker, and push it to fit. You will have a tight fit on so of the corners, but if you are persistent and use some blunt force, it will get there. On the passenger side it is a bit more tricky, because of the part of the carpeting that goes under the hatch trim. You have to lift the plastic hatch trim to have any chance of getting the carpet under there effectively. Also you have to line up the notch in the carpet with a plastic lip under the trim panel. After you have everything where you think it should be, just use some brute force to get it right.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I'm not a help in exactly how to reinstall, as I did mine in April. Had considerable time getting all to fit back.
Some of the panels had to be bowed out to make "shorter" and the bow released into place. I did NOT take the panel loose in front of the seats.
I just pulled them free enough to work on the top of the shock.

Also, I reinstalled the panels BEFORE cutting for access to adjust. That turned out to be a wise decision.
The Koni adjust is a hairs width below the panels. You can feel them with some pressure downward on the horizontal surface.

I was able to cut a small circle just the size of the adjusting knob. With the rear glass tint the hole is not visible at all from outside and barely when looking inside with the hatch open.

I saw a Focus at BeaveRun where the owner had cut a huge hole, triangular in shape, in the panel to install and adjust. That would eliminate the insulating properties and it looked bad.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts