Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought nice paint and primer and clear coat and starting painting my interior. i cleaned the pieces, sprayed the primer and then put a few layers on and then sprayed a few coats of clear....well i noticed that my interior pieces have cracks in them...kinda like lines where the paint like formed upwards and left like textured mountains

i'm needing to have this fixed for sunday for a car show i'm attending and i'm willing to do whatever it takes to fix it any suggestions onto how to fix this problem

·
MAKE IT RAIN! ... is that like [email protected](3+/ a [email protected]" and @
7,550 Posts
if you have to have it done by sunday I suggest going to the dealer tomorrow and getting new pieced of what cracked. It would take too long to wet sand it all and re-paint. I think that happened because you either painted too many layers or it didnt all dry completely. What type of paint did you use? Maybe it doesnt adhese to plastic well. I use only Krylon products.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i used this paint for interiors called folia tec or something like that...they sell it at audio conections and its made to be used on interior parts
so if i were to paint it how many coats of each thing should i do?
and how much does all this stuff cost from the dealership
4 AC vents (vent rings) 2 triangle small vents, gauge surround plastic piece and the door handle cover pieces
thats all what i painted

the gauge surround and the door handles came out real bad...the rest look alrite but still not smooth like they should be
i'm also thinking that it was humid out today and we did it in his shed with the door open and it was raining out a little bit

what tempature/weather should this be done in?

·
MAKE IT RAIN! ... is that like [email protected](3+/ a [email protected]" and @
7,550 Posts
it was probably the weather that made it come out that way. It should be done a normal temp day, around 70, not to muggy. Im not sure as to what it costs for new pieces, but no more than 150 all together.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Its the fact that you didn't use ADHESION PROMOTER...I've been blabbing about that stuff on here for like six months...Go get some, its called bulldog, then take your stuff off scuff it with a 3m scuff pad. After that, clean the surface of dust, spray on the Bulldog and then let it set about 5-8 minutes, then spray on you color...Let that dry and spray on your clear, and you should be set.......Peace

Lox

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
no its not cause he didnt use adhesion promoter! its prolly cause he either waited too long inbetween coats or was just doin too heavy of coats. i did the same thing on one of my pieces and it was only cause i had to run to the store while it was dryin and left it to dry too long. let it dry just long enough to get tacky. all mine except the one turned out perfect and that was the first painting like that i had ever done

to fix your "screwed up" piece just let it sit in a bath of gasoline for a lil while and then the paint will just start peelin off. run it under some how water and hit it with one of those green scower pads and repaint it (well make sure you get off all the gas of course) easy as that

·
Registered
164 Posts
to fix your "screwed up" piece just let it sit in a bath of gasoline for a lil while and then the paint will just start peelin off. run it under some how water and hit it with one of those green scower pads and repaint it (well make sure you get off all the gas of course) easy as that
Just make sure you don't leave it in the gas for too long, you will come back to a puddle of plastic in the gas!

When I redid it, I just sanded a bit. The adhesion promoter also takes off paint when you spray it.
Found out the hard way.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Well obviously somewhere within the process something went wrong, but I can attest to at least this much, (since obviously some people think I don't know what I talking about) These plastic pieces were not designed to hold paint...so in order to make them hold the preparation is key, the area needs to be sanded and primered with great care, and I don't know why you guys are hating on the adhesion promoter but its a key part in the equation. Have you guys ever seen the Super Street issue where they painted all the interior parts that this guy is having trouble with? The article specificaly stated that a bonding agent was mixed into the paint....Either way you might as well do whatever suits you best when you try to fix the initial problem...I'll snap some pics in the morning of my painted pilliars, which were more difficult than any of these dash pieces and you guys can tell me what you think...........Peace

Lox

·
Registered
151 Posts
You should

Sand it down
Prime
Sand
Prime it again
Paint Lightly
(i would sand it with a light sandpaper here)
Paint
Clear
Clear

I dont like painting in the sun either, seems to make the paint dry too fast. I do it in my garage with the door open

·
Registered
398 Posts
Dude this is all i did to do mine
wet snad all parts with 800 git.
buy this "flexible plastic primer" and 2 layer of this.
paint fine layers untill color is uniform follow by on light coat of clear and one heavy coat clear
polish to shine when dry.

·
WRAWRRR, BEAR CLAW!
19,258 Posts
You should

Sand it down
Prime
Sand
Prime it again
Paint Lightly
(i would sand it with a light sandpaper here)
Paint
Clear
Clear

I dont like painting in the sun either, seems to make the paint dry too fast. I do it in my garage with the door open
thats how WetWorks does it, just about. He uses automotive paint tho, for a perfect match

·
Registered
151 Posts
See your lucky, your car was black and yellow in and out.

My car, i couldnt find in black interior, so i got the dark grey. So im gonna either make the interior gray and blue, or just paint EVERYTHING white and royal blue

1 - 13 of 13 Posts