Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
long story that's not long at all. no idea what or how it happened but somehow i managed to clip the concrete bottom thingy of a lamppost in a parking lot. the crash was wayyy under 5mph. which didn't stop my bumper from ripping itself off, or the airbags from deploying.

I'm just trying to figure out if it's totalled or not. I've been all over the [censored], checked steering geometry and basically EVERYTHING. Here's what I caught:

Bumper Cover

Right Fender
Airbags ([censored] me)
windshield (when the fender kinked)

And here's the one that has me squirming like a little girl:

The metal impact bar that the bumper cover actually attaches to. I dunno if its individually replaceable or not.

help!

I am sooooo pissed. I was about to put the downpayment on an 05 mustang GT when this happened.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Totalled? No. Get the insurance to cover it, walk away $500 lighter in the wallet... trade it in as the downpayment.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
From what I remember was that the box that attaches to the impact bar is bolted to the main unibody.

As for write-off or not, I always thought that airbags deploying were almost a certainty of writing off a vehicle. But I think that's a matter for the insurance to decide...

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Totalled? No. Get the insurance to cover it, walk away $500 lighter in the wallet...
I'll agree with this part.
With no bent frame, you're looking at a windshield, airbags, airbag install, airbag controller, seatbelts, fender, bumper, front undertray, MAYBE that front bar?, paint.
That's not cheap, but it's nowhere near totalled, IMO.
If you saw the damage to mine before the rebuild, you'd be shocked.
(Or MtBiken's.... the FIRST Focus that I "totalled")
Both cars were put back on the road for less than the "Totalled Damage Payoff", which is usually about 74% of the car's "Value". (Which is where they try to get you. )
Fix it.
In my case, I took a cash check from insurance and had it fixed myself.

·
Registered
428 Posts
you can buy a new bumper reinforcement for pretty cheap. It is just bolted on. I welded mine on though due to the fact that the tabs on the frame rails were bent beyond repair. You may have to bend the frame rails a little to get it to line up correctly though. They can move a little without being visible. You will know though, when you go to put the new crash bar on and the holes don't line up correctly. It sounds like you have a pretty easy repair if what you described is the only damage. Good luck.

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
im pretty sure the front impact bar is welded on, i think at least it is on my 03, ill look at it today

if it is not severely bent, as in it wont effect fitment, and you are going to trade the car in or sell it ... i wouldnt bother with it, even if your deductible is $500 you should be able to replace thew bumper, windshield and airbags for that much, if you decide to, pm me i have airbags... a windshield as well but shipping would kill, its a PITA to get off the car too

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
aight, i want your airbags. thanks sexy.

·
Banned
1,566 Posts

i checked today, the front beam is NOT bolted on its welded on, at least on 03 duratecs, could be diff on earlier cars

·
Registered
912 Posts
Totalled? No. Get the insurance to cover it, walk away $500 lighter in the wallet...
I'll agree with this part.
I don't, neccessarily.. depending on how his insurance rates will increase, and the cost to fix his car. He might be out a lot more than $500. I have a $600/yr surcharge due to an accident. 3 years of that until it no longer counts, plus my $500 deductible = more than the insurance paid out for repairs. Give your carrier a call, especially if you're considering a GT, as I imagine that will carry a decent premium increase.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'll cover it out of pocket...i've got enough to even replace teh car if necessary...just tryin to figure otu how much money i'll ahve left, if any.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Oops, sorry about that. I forgot that it is actually spot welded on. How could I forget having to drill out all of those stupid spotwelds
I was thinking about the radiator support which is bolted on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts