Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Fellow Jetters:

Check out my mods. and tell me why the heck am I only doing 16.3 times in the quarter mile with a 84.5 mph trap speed and 2.579 60ft.

I'm only getting 123whp and 120 w.lbs/tq.

I think it could be two things, either my cam timing settup or my diablo chip not doing the job.

I'm going to the dyno next monday and I'll check both, do you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Miguel

·
Registered
150 Posts
seems like your car is a down on power. are you going to dyno it soon? i would guess that you could squeeze a bit more out of it.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
once you tune your cam gears it will all fall together..for sure!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Which Ranger MAF are you using? According to the chart that I have the transfer function is different for the 4.0L Ranger. The Ranger 2.3L, 2.5L, and 3.0L have the same curve.

If you use the one from the 4.0L without burning the new curve into your chip you'll be WAY lean.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm using the Ranger Maf of a 3.0 liter Ranger, it gave me 10 whp dyno tested.

I'll go to the dyno on monday to try the car without the chip, the maf and check my cam timing.

Can someone give me any suggestions on how to properly tune the cam timing in the dyno, I have FC Cam Gears. How much is each bar worth?

Thanks,

Miguel

·
Registered
389 Posts
Like your dyno results show, that MAF works just fine. I have the FC cam gears also. Each mark is 1 degree of Cam timing, which is 2 degrees of crank timing. I haven't had mine tuned yet either. No dyno near me. I'm going to Portland for Thanksgiving and have an appointment on Wednesday to do some tuning. Can't wait.

From the other tuning posts I've read, people are tuning one cam at a time, checking the results for gains or losses and moving the timing again. I don't think the sequence is an exact science. Mostly from what I've read it's just trial and error.

Anyone that's done the tuning want to lend a hand here? I'd appreciate a tip or two myself.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Miguel:

From what I've read, forwading cam timing on the zetecs tends to enhance torque at the expense of high end HP and viceversa.

Good luck.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by lacox:
Miguel:

From what I've read, forwading cam timing on the zetecs tends to enhance torque at the expense of high end HP and viceversa.

Good luck.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Want to go to the dyno on Monday? It's in Bayamon. Call me at my cell.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
When we tuned my car we found the most power by retarding the exhaust cam and then advancing the intake cam....

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll re-check my TDC and then check the Diablo Chip, after that I'll just dyno tune my cam gears.

What do you guys think?

MIguel

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
Tuning gears is simply a matter of run it on the dyno, change settings run on dyno, change settings...etc. until you achieve desired result.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Originally posted by mhernande:
I'll re-check my TDC and then check the Diablo Chip, after that I'll just dyno tune my cam gears.

What do you guys think?

MIguel
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Actually Miguel I remember your old setup when you dynod those numbers..and trust me..your old nasty crushed bent exhaust with that custom cat..is what was hurting your power! with the nice flex and mandrel cat back your gonna be way up there with tuning!! your power is deffintly about right..you dont have cams...so your power will be about 135whp or soo...and some nice TQ!

also I read you have an exhaust leak on your new Mangnaflow..deffintly get that fixed before you dyno tune!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks man and thanks for remembering. I hope you're right. It does feel much better and that can be attested by my friend with his brand new Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V.

Miguel

1 - 14 of 14 Posts