Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished installing my PTE a couple days ago. After I installed the SCT, the check gas cap light is on. It doesn't generate any codes. Has anyone else had this happen? Is this something in the chip programming?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I doubt anybody here will have an answer for you. If anybody does, it will be Randy.

This is probably the sort of thing where you want to go straight to the top, so I suggest either contacting SCT directly or having PTE get in touch with them. The only simple problem I can think of is that maybe your chip is for a different PCM code, but that's a total guess. I know the SCT programming can be used to prevent certain DTC's, but I've never heard of a chip causing the gas cap light to turn on.

Related side note: a custom tune will probably be money well spent vs. the generic tune that comes with the PTE kit, so maybe your best bet is to find a good SCT dealer in your area to custom-tune your car and figure out the gas cap light issue. Two birds, one stone...

·
Registered
24,330 Posts
Somebody asked about this other day, but it's pretty damn rare IMO. Assuming the gas cap is perfect, there is a section of the software that can be adjusted for "sensitivity" for lack of a better word. Your car is running OBDII tests. "Sometimes" you need to make an adjustment.

Also, if your ECU code is different than what was provided to you, that can have an effect, however small. I've dealt with that first hand a few times where the customer was unaware of the calibration change and I spent a TON of time trying to figure it all out.

With the XCal2 there is a way to verify the strategy of the ECU and have it converted to see if you have what you think you do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts