148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post deleted by mikefocus0303

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
Re: Turbo

http://www.focus-power.com

He sells the starter kits for people looking to make their own turbo. He doesn't release specs on the turbo that actually comes with the kit. Its a handpicked turbo capable of spooling 180whp to 320whp.

Don't go too far if you're looking to get his MIC. You can't get the MIC without his starter kit... and we all know there aint crap for decent management out there.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts

Tom's Site has everything you want to know...thought I'd try and help out before someone yells at you about searching or something like that. But as far as I knwo his kit is completely complete including tuning...thats why it take 3days fot the "install" b/c he dynos it to your specs...cool [censored] if you ask me...I'm a 1yr plan for his kit...but he doen't know that yet!!!

CCC

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

so if i buy toms kit what is included and everyone talks about tuning what the hell are they talking about i live in Maine and there is 1 dyno shop around here and i dunno if hes even any good.

·
Registered
7,351 Posts

If you dont have an SVT... The 4 programs included can get very close to a perfect tune out of the box. If you have an SVT I think you're going to have to make the journey to his shop.

If a local dyno could tune your car, you wouldn't need Tom
. But it is piece of mind to get on a dyno to see A/F ratio's and HP levels.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

do you have a turbo on your car? and if so what kind do you have? what kind of horsepower does his kit make on a stock engine?

·
Registered
7,351 Posts

No, I dont have a turbo setup on my car yet. I have other plans for the drivetrain first.

Typical results on a completely stock zetec with tom's kit is around 240fwhp on 93oct.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

what is "tuning" and does his kit require this i have a sedan not an svt but what does tuning do for a turbo and is it actually worth the trip from maine to north carolina to have it tuned? what would you gain from it?

·
Registered
7,351 Posts

Tuning is just a refinement step. With the stock Zetec ECU you can actually get quite close to a perfect A/F ratio, timing table without actually having the car there. The chip has 4 settings, so you can choose the setting that makes the car run the best/safest. We really need tom to step in on this one.

Getting the car on the Dyno at tom's shop would just allow you to squeeze out any more HP that might be lingering because of a conservative tune in the chip.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

so without tuning what kind of HP would you get? i just ask this because the fastest car around my area is a civic hatchback with a b18 motor and a t3/t4 turbo and i dont think hes tuned his and hes at like 215 to the wheels. so is tuning an absolute necessity?

·
Registered
3,853 Posts

No, I dont have a turbo setup on my car yet. I have other plans for the drivetrain first.

Typical results on a completely stock zetec with tom's kit is around 240fwhp on 93oct.
I have yet to talk to someone on the boards who has his kit that hit 240 fwhp on 93 oct and 8 psi with a COMPLETELY STOCK engine aside from the kit itself and MAYBE an exhaust.

Not trying to start anything but I hate hearing strong claims like this and yet never seeing any hard proof (word of mouth from actual people who've experienced it).

If this starts anything, I'm just going to delete the post...

·
Registered
2,035 Posts

so without tuning what kind of HP would you get? i just ask this because the fastest car around my area is a civic hatchback with a b18 motor and a t3/t4 turbo and i dont think hes tuned his and hes at like 215 to the wheels. so is tuning an absolute necessity?
If you don't have some sort of tuning, you are taking the chance of blowing the motor. In my eyes and probably 99% of the people on this board, tuning is a necessity and really should be a requirement for anyone who sells street kits. If you don't tune, how do you know what your air/fuel ratio is? not only that, but by dyno tuning it, you can get it set up properly for what your needs/wants are.

·
Senior TEAM Member
4,821 Posts

You can expect 200 to 230 HP at the wheels with the stock engine ,Things like 65MM TB ,better Exh. will help with the HP/TQ

Tuning is a must for the safety of the engine and is the main reason for tuning

Tom

·
Registered
7,351 Posts

You can expect 200 to 230 HP at the wheels with the stock engine ,Things like 65MM TB ,better Exh. will help with the HP/TQ

Tuning is a must for the safety of the engine and is the main reason for tuning

Tom
Ok, I could have sworn I heard 240fwhp somewhere. My bad. 200-230 it is

I'm going to get 250rwhp on 93oct damnit!!!

·
Registered
2,181 Posts

Remember thats to the wheels...not the flywheel, the 145 in my SVT isn't a punk so I could only imagine what 230 would feel like!!! I mean go back and pull up the threads with the track times that Tom's cars put out...then compare the multi-second gap between that time and you car stock...and that will put that "miesly (sp?)" 230 in it real place!!!

CCC

·
Registered
1,361 Posts

so without tuning what kind of HP would you get?
I think he meant what would the results be with leaving a "generic turbo custom burned chip" the way it is with out that perticular car dyno "fine" tunned.
So I'am guessing it would be a little on the rich side, safe, but not making the most power possible.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts

Trust me when I say 230whp is going to be PLENTY to start with! My car makes 227fwhp, and it's no slouch. I have owned many supercharged mustangs, a grand national, and the focus siezes to amaze me! I am not saying that the 230hp focus is more powerful, but just combine that much hp, that little weight and FWD and it'll surprise you!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts