Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week ago from last Saturday I went to pick up my SVT from Tom, it was running at 15psi on the dyno and 17psi on the street Even thought the tune was completly safe I decided to turn the boost down to 13psi for the ride home, never know when you'll get ahold of bad gas.

As most of you have read on the way back the car starts running like [censored], not making much boost, high EGT's and so on. It ended up being a crack in the custom aluminum intake Tom made, no biggie. So I send it off to get fixed and it gets back today so of course I miss work to instal everything and get it running

Here's where I got surprised, I started up the road sorta taking it easy and I finally decide to step on it ....... It started some really surprising TORQUE STEER and shot up to 16-17 psi

What's odd is I didn't change anything on the boost controller, didnt even touch it. The torque steer didn't exist when I picked it up, so I'm thinking maybe the intake had a small crack in it all the time, beats me. So I turn the boost back down the 13psi, take off down the road , crank it up just a bit in 1st, grab second... the boost hits 13psi and it almost ran off the road on its own HOLY [censored] that was fun

The intake preformed flawlessly, and Tom did an excellent job on the repairs.

Tom, is the MAN when it comes to tuning
The drive today was just down right fun. and I cant wait for the drive to work in the morning

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
glad its going good bro the 28rs spool good

·
Registered
519 Posts
Why is there torque steer? I thought the half-shafts minimized that.... and shouldn't the quaife even the wheels out, as well?

Andrew

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Hey great news!

Any bets on what kind of gas mileage he gets on his first tank of gas with all that power under his foot for the first time?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The GT28RS spools great, it seams to spool faster now that the manifold is fixed.

I do have the quaife, fidanza, CM stage 4.... and I have no clue why wants to pull to the drivers side...and sometimes the passengers side when getting on it. It only does it at full boost....... beats me.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Quaife = More Torque Steer supplying power to the wheel with the most grip. Totally understandable!

Congrats on your fun machine!!! It's about stinkin time.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
holy crap man, i cant believe you have it back. congrats. i saw it there, everytime i was there,lol...
i cant wait to get my car back from him also. yours looked great man, very nice. was wondering how the intake was gonna work out. have fun. keep us updated, definitely. hey, how bout some pics man!!!!
Adamo

·
Registered
508 Posts
300 to the wheels with do that sometimes im sure.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Congrats OrangeSVT03

Can you show me a picture where you have the Pyrometer probe install??

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Video, not a chance... I'm stuck with 56K for now

The Pyrometer is in number 3 tube about 1-1.5 inches from the head. Mine will look different from yours since I have a custom tubular exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
308 Posts
mine looks like this..

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Why is there torque steer? I thought the half-shafts minimized that.... and shouldn't the quaife even the wheels out, as well?
How about this:
http://www.mscsoftware.com/support/library/conf/adams/euro/2002/papers/005_EUC_008_FORD.pdf
An article from Ford on the causes and testing of torque steer.

The biggest factor that will determine if a car will have tendencies to torque steer is the suspension design and layout. The Focus has great handling and feedback, but it also likes to amplify torque steer. I sometimes swear that my stock SVTF has more than my SRT-4 which was putting down over 340 ft.-lbs. of torque.

A Quaife can help, but usually only on perfectly smooth surfaces. Out in the real world, if the car is already prone to torque steer, the Quaife will amplify it even worse if the road surface has irregularities. Equal length half-shafts are one of the means that a manufacturer can sometimes use to try to minimize it, but they don't always help on every car. Some things such as the angle that the axles have between the trans and hub, steering geometry, and overall suspension setup have a much greater affect.

As for the car, it sounds like a blast to drive. I've always said a little more power would make an SVTF just about perfect. I hope it treats you well.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
(Wheres the damn jealous smiley...?)

Oh yeah...congrats!!! I'll be boosted someday..someday...someday...

CCC

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Very cool!!! Congrats! And *finally*... welcome to the boost club!

And yeah, learn to enjoy that "gun it and hang on for dear life" torque steer. Its half the fun!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts