Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey im just wondering if both ball bearing turbos and non ball bearing turbos need a turbo timer??? the aerocharger im currently running does not require a turbo timer and im not sure if its because it is simi ball bearing (variable vain) or if it has something to do with it having its own oil supply...

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
Hocky is right, even tho it has its own oil supply, if you've just run your car hard for a while and then immediately shut it down, your gona burn up that oil and its gona destroy the turbo.

if u don't want a turbo timer, take it easy for the last few miles of your trek and let your motor cool itself off and then just idle for a while b4 u shut it down

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im not wondering for my setup... just hoping to get some information about different types of turbos... if a ball bearing turbo didnt need a turbo timer... guess it does... thanks for the help :thumbsup:

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
I don't think it matters what sort of bearing the turbo uses...

they all use oil as a lube.

and in any turbo, you don't want super heated oil just sitting in the housing after a hard run and then you just shut it off.

that's bad for any type of bearing.

·
Registered
990 Posts
AC VATN turbos are air cooled, not oil cooled like other turbos. The conventional method of turbo timing shouldn't be necessary, although letting the entire motor cool down a bit after a hard run isn't a bad idea. The AC turbo is oiled with two wicks that touch the bearings, letting it "turbo time" will not circulate cooling oil through the bearings. Also, the AC turbo has both of it's bearings on the cold (compressor) side, not directly in the center. They did this so the bearings wouldn't be affected, as much, by the conductive/radiant heat of the turbine.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Also, the Aerocharger uses that fancy-schmancy jet turbine oil, which I'm sure can withstand a LOT more heat than even a high-grade synthetic motor oil can tolerate. And with the semi-remote location of the Aerocharger, you won't be running as hot as you would if the turbo had a more conventional mounting point. If you've got an ORP or a race header, that is. Theoretically, exhaust gases will be hotter after the cat because the cat adds heat from the chemical reactions that take place within it. I think.

Whatever - just let it idle for 30 seconds after hard driving and you'll be fine. I think.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Ball Bearings aren't the thing that helps eliminate the need for a turbo timer (or just letting your car idle for a bit).

Water Cooled Turbo's do not need a turbo timer. If you run the car extremely hard it's still a good idea to let your car cool down for a bit, but for normal driving or just a few "spurts" here and there, you can park it and shut it off and not worry about it.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
very good... so the water cooling is the way to go... im getting tired of the aerocharger not putting out more than 12 psi and i want something bigger... want to make sure i have all the cost done ahead of time instead of finding out about the little details when things go wrong

thanks for the information

1 - 9 of 9 Posts