·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
\"Turning\" the stock flywheel?

Can it be done?
What are the tolerances?
Any input is appreciated.
Mine may or may not need it, but I wanted to ask in advance, as we are starting on replacing my clutch.

·
Banned
5,338 Posts
Re: \"Turning\" the stock flywheel?

what do you mean turn it? as in lighten it or resurface. you need to resurface it if you install a new clutch

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts

You should always have it machined when doing the clutch. A machine shop is needed, they heat up the pressure plate alignment pins, push them out the back, put it on a mill, machine it down .030 or so (enough to give it a nice machined surface for bedding the new clutch and get rid of any hot spots and thickness variances), put the pins back in, then it's ready to pick up.

A local guy does my flywheels for $20 each (cash in hand, YMMV elsewhere)

May not need it isn't an issue. You should always have it machined before re-assembly. I don't know what the tolerances are but I do know you can take quite a bit off before you need to shim it (that is, increase the distance between the flywheel face and the engine block by putting metal shims between the FW and crankshaft

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts

Oreillys did one for me for 40$.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

what do you mean turn it? as in lighten it or resurface. you need to resurface it if you install a new clutch
I meant resurface it.
Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts

A little trick is to have the flywheel resurfaced, and then have them take an extra .030 or .050 off of the outer shoulder where the pressure plate bolts down. This will give your clutch a little better grip.

IN fact I plan to run a zetec centerforce dual friction disc with a stock pressure plate and modified flywheel. There are no good inexpensive clutch options for the duratecs yet so i'm making my own setup.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts

TIP: find someone who has an accu-turn brake lathe and they can resurface it WITHOUT removing the steel pins. I have one of these lathes, works wonders.

Scott

·
Banned
1,109 Posts

not the recomended method, using the stone method yeilds better results.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts

Whatever method you they use, the outside edge has to be resurfaced to the clutch manufacturers depth spec to make sure the pressure plate is at the right depth from the surface of the flywheel.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts

Napa resurfaced mine for 30 bucks. Did an awesome job on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts