Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I corded 3 of 4 tires...with the front too being the worse and lthe driver's side front being the WORST!!! I was about to make my 5th run when I went to close my hood I something caught my eye:

Sooooo...I back out of the grid and parked. Took that tire off and replaced it with the spare and put the right rear in place of the right front for the drive home...but now my problem is that i basically need a new set of tires ASAP.

The questions...

1.) Based on this photo taken with the wheel centered with about 37psi (hot) shows how the tire is running all the way to the inside "shoulder"...

What is my problem? Clearly a botched alignment, but some mentioned toe...out or in? Thanks...

2.) I've been debating getting a set of 16" race dedicated wheels and tires and then another set of good performance tires for the street on my stock 17s, but hadn't decided, however I was not planning any of it until the end of August. So now I'm forced to get tires ASAP, and the only ones I can get on tomorrow are the Fuzion ZRi (or whatever it is) from a Firestone place...can someone compare these to any other tires in their price point (Kumho 711, Falken 451???).

Thanks guys...

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just checked out tirerack...

I can get 215/45-17 Kumho 711s for around $300 shipped, whatcha guys think about running those as my daily tire that might see a few autoXs before I get a dedicated set? Good deal/bang for the buck? I guess thats what I'm looking for now...

[EDIT]
Hankook Z212s for $380 shipped...wear faster but an actual STS contender tire. How long will these last if I meticulously take care of them (alignments, rotation and balancing) over something like the 711?

CCC

·
Banned
4,105 Posts
Looks like 2 of my tires on my car.

I had mine in for an alignment saturday after getting new inner and outer tie rod ends, lower ball joint, and a strut on the left front after a little run in with a Grand Am 2 weeks ago. After the alignment, the guy showed me the tires, and I was like "I didn't think they were down that far. Looks like I'll be ordering new tires this wednesday or thursday when I get paid."

At least I found out about it now instead of later when I head north for a week in August and have one blow on me.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Camber alone wont do that--its a combination of camber and toe. Ideally a bit of toe-out for autocrossing is good--but accelerated wear is the tradeoff. Pick your poison.

Keep in mind that the 711 is only H rated. For an inexpensive alternative, I liked my Champiro GT's...see www.tiresavings.com

They have some other interesting choices as well...

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
They are an ok DD tire if handling is not your top priority. They are completely inadequate for Autocross though. If you are looking for a tire better for Autocrossing but cheap try the 712's. They don't have the grip of the MX's or the life of the 711. But, they will out grip the 711 by a lot.

Toe out will wear the inside edge. But, too much camber will also wear the inside edge. The whole point of negative camber is to tilt the top of the tire inwards. So it therefore puts more wear on the inside edge of the tire. If you have both, it is even worse.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
FWIW, the Champiros actually we not THAT BAD for autocrossing...I did 2 events on them. They are not a "top" tire by any means, but doubt that they would be a whole lot worse than a 712, if at all. My main rationalle is that they are very inexpensive, so that CCC could appropriate the left over money to the greater (autocross) good.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info guys...but unfortueatly I was hoping to get these kind of responses within a day or two of my post. So in the mean time I found what I thought was a great deal considering that the 712s cost almost the same if not more than the Hankook Z212s...sooooo I ordered the Kooks for $95/tire. I'll just me keeping an eye on the wear and getting them rotated...so basically taking care of them unlike how I did with the MXs. Thanks tho...

CCC

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So are these things still useable...or should I just toss em?

CCC

·
Banned
4,105 Posts
So are these things still useable...or should I just toss em?

CCC
I wouldn't even drive on em, let alone consider them safe at all.

Unfortunately, when I found my tires corded last saturday, I had to make it 5 days on them before I got my new ones. I just avoided the freeway at all cost and tried to not drive more than to and from work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts