Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son just changed plugs on his 2002 ZTS. There were two different model Motorcraft plugs installed (alternating) What is up with that?

Specs call for only one replacement number

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
no worries, most all came that way Fs are single plats, FEs are doubles...some think it has to do w/the limp home mode function. you can change all to doubles. they should go 100k though...

-Ult

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
no worries, most all came that way Fs are single plats, FEs are doubles...some think it has to do w/the limp home mode function. you can change all to doubles. they should go 100k though...

-Ult
I actually think it has something to do with the way the ignition system works. It was discussed here before and I can't remember the details right now...but anyway the funny thing is, the engine is designed to work with two single plats and two double plats. In other words, the two cylinders that have singles from the factory do not require or utilize double plats. But Ford decided that we were too stupid to put the correct replacements into the correct cylinders so they just recommend doubles as a replacement.

It sounds like a cost cutting measure to me. At volume, I'm sure that the single plats cost significantly less. And since double plats are not necessary in two of the cylinders, why use them.

But the one thing that this should point out is that you should never remove more than one plug at a time if you are just checking them and plan to put them back in. That is, unless you are not like me and don't get parts all mixed up on the workbench.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts