Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i have owned the pacesetter header for about 6-7 months now and today when i took a quick look under the hood...theres surface rust on the header. and its the armor coated...damnit

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
my friend had his over a year and he have like no rust.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Shouldn't that be covered under warranty? Don't feel too bad, the FS race headers seem to have the same problem, according to some of the posts I've seen on here.

Josh

·
Registered
641 Posts
KicknZX3 that should be covered under warranty, if its not, here is what you do. Sand down the header really good, go to the home depot, get some 1200 degree BBQ pit flat black paint and hit it good. Did this to mine and I have never had a problem with rust, and I have had mine for over a year.

Jamie

·
Registered
294 Posts
Originally posted by KicknZX3:
well i have owned the pacesetter header for about 6-7 months now and today when i took a quick look under the hood...theres surface rust on the header. and its the armor coated...damnit
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah your right though, you pay for a cheap header you get a cheap header.
I'd never buy a pacesetter product after reading SCC's header comparison with a bunch of after market headers. The pacesetter actually lost HP compared to the stock one

·
Registered
66 Posts
HPC coating boys. It's the way to go. www.hpcoatings.com I've got a friend that has done all of his Viper exhaust in it with great resulfts. Also, the elbow pipe for my Bandit 1200 is coated with it. It's a great finish that won't rust or change colors, plus it adds performance by insulating the exhaust tubing.

Dan

·
Registered
91 Posts
'AMEN" To That

Just because of one comparision the product is shot for sh*t!!

KicknZX3- If your to lazy to take it back, then follow what BANE8268 said. Laters

·
Registered
294 Posts
Originally posted by FocusedOne:
if it's coated, i can GUARANTEE that it isn't rust....get some eagle one polish, and it will come off with a single swipe!!! what you are seeing is water that has quickly evaporated...

pacesetter headers are actually VERY GOOD ...beleive it or not. I had one for a long time, and it was GREAT!! i even have GAINS to show for it ....so FCUK SCC!!! thats what i say.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Until i see an unbiased dyno that proves me otherwise i'll stick with quality good name parts.

·
Registered
433 Posts
if it's coated, i can GUARANTEE that it isn't rust....get some eagle one polish, and it will come off with a single swipe!!! what you are seeing is water that has quickly evaporated...

pacesetter headers are actually VERY GOOD ...beleive it or not. I had one for a long time, and it was GREAT!! i even have GAINS to show for it ....so FCUK SCC!!! thats what i say.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I installed my Pacesetter Cat-Back today. Few small quirks with the install for those of you with 2002 Foci (mine was made in July.) Ford must have switched the exhaust fasteners and bolts they use since that myfordfocus.com video was made, mine were all metric. Plus, the stock pipe that comes off the flex-pipe has the two studs permanently installed in it, I had to go buy two exhaust bolts to attach the system to the flex pipe. No biggie, the dude at Napa gave 'em to me for nothing.

I sanded down the entire system and prep-sol'd the whole thing before giving it about 8 light coats of black Dupli-Color Ceramic Exhaust coating, then drove for an hour and a half to bake on the paint. I let you know how it holds up, but I've got two used cars of mine floating around town with these same systems prepared the same way and the finish is still black and smoooooth.

Looks great, sounds better, and set me back under $200 shipped (although it did come a little banged up, if I didn't plan on repainting the whole thing anyway I would have been pisssssed at the lack of proper packing... no foam anywhere.)

Pics incoming soon.

·
Registered
41 Posts
What company did you buy the pacesetter exhaust from that it came banged up?
I would love more info on the pacesetter exhaust.

·
Registered
24,330 Posts
Originally posted by BumpinFocus2k1:
Shouldn't that be covered under warranty? Don't feel too bad, the FS race headers seem to have the same problem, according to some of the posts I've seen on here.

Josh
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I can think of one, maybe two instances where this has been the case, and of course we took care of the situation promptly. Out of several hundred units, that's not bad at all. I've seen pacesetter quality and our products are clearly on a higher level, but then again that is why we can't and don't sell headers for $150.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Originally posted by tzx3:
What company did you buy the pacesetter exhaust from that it came banged up?
I would love more info on the pacesetter exhaust.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't really think it was the place I bought it from's fault, the box came without foam in it from Pacesetter. I got it from Modernperformance.com They had the best price on it ($169.99 plus shipping) at the time, not sure if that's still the case.

As far as the sound, if your curious, it's got a nice rumble at idle and gives off a nice growl accelerating between 2500 and 3200 rpms. No farty buzz can noise. Overall, I'm very happy with it so far.

It comes with a yellow piece of tape wrapped around the tailpipe though, for looks I guess, I took it right off, not my thing, and masked off the chrome part before applying the rust inhibitor. That gave it a more pronounced line where the chrome turned to black. I'll try to put up pictures soon.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Originally posted by FocusSportVP:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by BumpinFocus2k1:

Josh
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I can think of one, maybe two instances where this has been the case, and of course we took care of the situation promptly. Out of several hundred units, that's not bad at all. I've seen pacesetter quality and our products are clearly on a higher level, but then again that is why we can't and don't sell headers for $150.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I would deffintly have to agree with that...Im still very impressed and very satisfied with the quality of my FS Race Header/Flex Pipe...I even bought them under the Discounted Items section for having a Blemish on it...when I got the dang thing I had to spend several hours trying to find the damn blemish!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Originally posted by FocusOnMyZeTec:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by FocusSportVP:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by BumpinFocus2k1:

Josh
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I can think of one, maybe two instances where this has been the case, and of course we took care of the situation promptly. Out of several hundred units, that's not bad at all. I've seen pacesetter quality and our products are clearly on a higher level, but then again that is why we can't and don't sell headers for $150.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I would deffintly have to agree with that...Im still very impressed and very satisfied with the quality of my FS Race Header/Flex Pipe...I even bought them under the Discounted Items section for having a Blemish on it...when I got the dang thing I had to spend several hours trying to find the damn blemish!!
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Randy, it was not my intention to imply that all FS headers were rusting, and I apologize as it seems that is why it came across. FS makes some top notch parts I know.

Josh

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
is that the shorty header hes talking about???i want to get the pacesetter race header or the hp race header....cause jimal want sell me his springs

·
Registered
24,330 Posts
Originally posted by BumpinFocus2k1:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by FocusOnMyZeTec:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by FocusSportVP:

Josh
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Randy, it was not my intention to imply that all FS headers were rusting, and I apologize as it seems that is why it came across. FS makes some top notch parts I know.

Josh
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's fine, no big deal. I just don't want people getting the wrong idea.

[ 11-18-2002, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: FocusSportVP ]

·
Registered
210 Posts
Originally posted by whiskeytangofoxtrot:
I installed my Pacesetter Cat-Back today. Few small quirks with the install for those of you with 2002 Foci (mine was made in July.) Ford must have switched the exhaust fasteners and bolts they use since that myfordfocus.com video was made, mine were all metric. Plus, the stock pipe that comes off the flex-pipe has the two studs permanently installed in it, I had to go buy two exhaust bolts to attach the system to the flex pipe. No biggie, the dude at Napa gave 'em to me for nothing.

I sanded down the entire system and prep-sol'd the whole thing before giving it about 8 light coats of black Dupli-Color Ceramic Exhaust coating, then drove for an hour and a half to bake on the paint. I let you know how it holds up, but I've got two used cars of mine floating around town with these same systems prepared the same way and the finish is still black and smoooooth.

Looks great, sounds better, and set me back under $200 shipped (although it did come a little banged up, if I didn't plan on repainting the whole thing anyway I would have been pisssssed at the lack of proper packing... no foam anywhere.)

Pics incoming soon.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Way to go Wiskey!!! Where can I find that heat paint and how much is it. I just ordered a Pacesetter catback for my Toyota PU and would like to do the same thing with it. Ive got a Borla on my ZX3 which is a good system, but if I were to do it all over again I would have given the Pacesetter a closer look for sure.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts