Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be installing my UDP sometime soon, and I don't have an impact wrench. How can I keep the crankshaft from rotating while I am trying to take the bolt off? Any suggestions on the installation would be greatly appreciated.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
keep it in gear. you shouldn't have a problem man. i think it's just a 13mm bolt.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Just put a long rachet with a 13mm socket on it and take the plug wires off and bump the ignition over one short burst (try to crank it) it should break loose

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Yah the crank the engine trick is easy and fine! Works like a charm... although the sound should scare the crap outta you if you hear it any other time...

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
OH!!! Remove all the spark plug wires so that the engine won't fire when you do this..... you don't want it to go anymore than a split second.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Remove all the plug wires? Just disconnect the ignition coil.

Make sure the ratchet handle is long enough so that the base of the handle hits the ground at about the 7 o'clock position.

dave

·
Registered
489 Posts
uh put it in gear and do it...no brakes no coil no spark plug removal.....damn guys these cars are easy to work on...now if i could get the money to have things to work on..

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
hey watch out for the belt tensioner. that thing is a B*tch... good luck.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
what r u fiddlin w/the tensioner 4? b a man, push on that thing til u can slide the belt over, its not that hard...

-Ult

·
Registered
143 Posts
try a strap wrench and a socket, believe it is an 18mm, if memory serves, you can quickly fashion a make shift strap wrench with the old belt.

but props to the impact gun, its much faster, dont forget the thread locker.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cool, thanks a lot guys for all the help. I will let you know how it goes, and what method I used. Now if only somebody could make it get much much warmer here in Toledo, I would be a happy camper

Thanks again

Ryan

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The ArchAngel: I got the AFX pulley

·
Registered
400 Posts
It's an 18mm socket. Put it in gear (2nd worked for us) have someone step on the brakes. Then hit it with the breaker and you should be set.

NOTE: The first time I installed the pulley we used the crank it w/o plugs in method and it didn't seem the safest way to do it. It does work, though...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts