Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at UDPs and I see these dyno charts showing only 2-4 HP gains. Now, that's not much, so I have to ask: Can you guys actually feel that?

When I installed my Magnaflow, I didn't feel much if any difference at all. Sure, it sounds great, but am I'm looking for a mod that I can feel. That in mind, am I wasting my money on an UDP?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
The UDP often works along with other mods to improve horspower. So the more mods, the better it will preform. Do you have intake?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
428 Posts
compared to some cars, the focus has a relatively small udp to start with. You can only expect so much horsepower to be gained from your accessories. I think the udp gives the car some more "zipp" not necessarily more power. about like boring out a stock TB. Not a huge gain, but noticable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,176 Posts
The biggest thing I felt with my udp was the engine rev'd quicker. Which in turn gets you into your powerband faster, which generaly feels like more power than the pully itself it adding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
847 Posts
Originally posted by REDFLASH:
compared to some cars, the focus has a relatively small udp to start with. You can only expect so much horsepower to be gained from your accessories. I think the udp gives the car some more "zipp" not necessarily more power. about like boring out a stock TB. Not a huge gain, but noticable.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't remember where I read this, but approx. 85% of the gains to be had are NOT from underdriving the accessories, but rather from having a smaller and lighter rotating mass.

If you compare them side by side, most aftermarket UDPs are considerably smaller and MUCH lighter. The FS pulley is 7.6oz vs the stock 3lb 4oz pulley.
 

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
Joined
·
6,880 Posts
Originally posted by Marction:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by REDFLASH:
compared to some cars, the focus has a relatively small udp to start with. You can only expect so much horsepower to be gained from your accessories. I think the udp gives the car some more "zipp" not necessarily more power. about like boring out a stock TB. Not a huge gain, but noticable.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't remember where I read this, but approx. 85% of the gains to be had are NOT from underdriving the accessories, but rather from having a smaller and lighter rotating mass.

If you compare them side by side, most aftermarket UDPs are considerably smaller and MUCH lighter. The FS pulley is 7.6oz vs the stock 3lb 4oz pulley.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">While this is true... shaving a few ounces off of something that's less than 6 inches across to begin with isn't really going to help you. try shaving 10 lbs off your flywheel, or installing lightweight wheels. Those will net you some gain. you could make a UDP out of titanium (really light), and another one out of depleted uranium (an order of magnitude heavier than lead) and you wouldn't see that much difference between the two...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,374 Posts
Also, that 2hp gain for the UDP is awefully poor. I wouldn't invest the time in 2hp either. From what I've seen, typical gains are closer to 5-6hp... hence the best bang for your buck modification ranking.

BTW, just a technicality but you don't have a stock UDP (under drive pulley). You have a stock CRANK pulley... the aftermarket crank pulleys are just called UDPs since they well... underdrive compared to stock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
847 Posts
Originally posted by Ducman69:
Also, that 2hp gain for the UDP is awefully poor. I wouldn't invest the time in 2hp either. From what I've seen, typical gains are closer to 5-6hp... hence the best bang for your buck modification ranking.

BTW, just a technicality but you don't have a stock UDP (under drive pulley). You have a stock CRANK pulley... the aftermarket crank pulleys are just called UDPs since they well... underdrive compared to stock.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">which is why I never refered to the stock pulley as a UDP,


And I agree with ax0n...it's not that significant...just a small piece of a large puzzle. If I had to do it over again...suspension kit, tires, exhaust, and turbo...screw all the bolt-ons


the only mod I've made that didn't have some sort of placebo effect was the suspension kit...now THAT was a noticeable improvement over stock. I'd HIGHLY recommend starting with the suspension (as I did) and/or tires as anybody's first mod!!!

[ 01-29-2003, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: Marction ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
428 Posts
ok I'm a moron, I just realized I called the stock pulley a UDP. Please disregard everything I have ever said, for I am a moron.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
717 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, if it's measurable, I don't care if I can feel the difference or not. For only $100, if it gains me anywhere from 4-300hp, it's worth it (especially if it was 300).

You don't really gain power with it, anyway. It's more like diverting it from the accessories to the wheels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
411 Posts
I have UPD, I/E. And the UPD is the only mod I can really feel. And for the Megnaflow, you won't feel much on city driving, but it help on the highway. BTW, do you have intake?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Check and see if the belts are a little loose. That can happen sometimes.

[ 01-30-2003, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: Evil_SVT ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,296 Posts
yeeep, i have Volant/FC TB/Vibrant exhaust, with an Esslinger UDP. the UDP was definitely one of the more notable power additions, because while it might not have freed up a huge amount of horsepower, my engine revved considerably quicker, which was very cool.

plus, its only a hundred bucks. 4hp for a hundred bucks is ok in my book. i mean for basic bolt-ons.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,374 Posts
Who was the guy that compared the AFX to Esslinger? They did multiple dyno runs and I recall them getting over 5 hp to the wheels on each run (6-7whp average) which is pretty nice for a modification that cheap.

Here is my own dyno with just an UDP and drop in panel filter:


114whp compared to ~105whp is definitely noticable difference when you have that little power to work with.
And you don't have to have other modifications to take advantage of the "freed-up" power.

[ 01-30-2003, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Ducman69 ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by Ducman69:
Who was the guy that compared the AFX to Esslinger? They did multiple dyno runs and I recall them getting over 5 hp to the wheels on each run (6-7whp average) which is pretty nice for a modification that cheap.

Here is my own dyno with just an UDP and drop in panel filter:


114whp compared to ~105whp is definitely noticable difference when you have that little power to work with.
And you don't have to have other modifications to take advantage of the "freed-up" power.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Which pulley had freed up more HP in the Esslinger v. AFX test anyway?
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top