Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking at a 2.0 Zetec on an engine hoist in our shop; the stock crank pully has holes drilled in it (on the face near the outer edge)--presumably for balancing purposes. Question is when one changes to a lightweight UDP, what happens balance-wise as the new UDP's are not "matched" specifically to a motor like the OE part is??? I am guessing that its no big deal as almost "eveyone" here has done the mod, and I doubt that they get their morors re-balanced...

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
from what I understand the crank pulley's are balanced but not to a specific engine, instead they're balanced as a seperate unit. The UDP's available for these engines are very light weight aluminum and as such are very well balanced already. There is however some concern with regard to the UDP's ability to absorb / disipate crankshaft harmonics since unlike the stock pulley, they're machined from a solid piece of stock and don't have the rubber insulator between a hub and outer ring. With that said, I have run the UDP's and know of many other folks running them and haven't heard of any damage to an engine as a result of using one. If you research this site you'll find a lot of information about these pulley's and then you can become really confused and decide what you want to do in spite of all you read.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are correct, sir! I guess that i am not overly concerned, as Ford Racing also sells one for the Zetec, though I am leaning towards the FC "standard" size to try and minimize electrical concerns; it is supposed to still be worth about 4hp--for 80 bux--not bad

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm also considering an UDP, but I have concerns about electrical problems. Just wondering if the lights dim at idle?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I'v got an esslinger UDP and there are no electrical problems. I run 3 amps for my stereo too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts