Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe if it did more than 0-62 in 15 seconds....

Rio goes for Rex
By JAMES STANFORD
11jul03

IT MAKES people do double takes, but don't think the Sport-Pac Kia Rio can outrun the law. The new Rio may look like a Subaru Impreza WRX Sti, but it concedes 124kW of power and 211Nm of torque.

And it drives through two wheels, not four. The sales and marketing personnel at Kia's importer, Ateco Automotive, have come up with the kit and it has worked the brand's dealers into a frenzy.

The Sport-Pac adds $3000 to the price of a regular Rio ($14,990 drive away).

It comes with Pedders sports suspension along with the body kit and a non-functional bonnet scoop.

The sporty Rio runs the regular 71kW 1.5-litre engine and takes 15 seconds to go from 0-100km/h.

By comparison, the $55,130 four-wheel-drive turbo WRX STi that it mimics has 195kW and can dash from 0-100km/h in 5.5 seconds.

On the STi the scoop forces air into the intercooler to feed the turbo, but the Rio's scoop is just there to look cool.

The Rio also has what is described as "a World Rally Championship-style rear wing", even though Kia does not have much of a rally heritage, or even a car in the WRC.

Subaru spokesman David Rowley says: "We are confident that people will be able to distinguish between this car and the WRX. For a start, there is a slight difference in the acceleration figures.

"All I can say is that imitation is a serious form of flattery."

Kia says it did not intend to model its Sport-Pac on the Subaru WRX.

Kia spokesman Edward Rowe says: "It's just a coincidence."

He says the sporty Rio has been designed to mimic all rally cars, not just the Subaru.

"Subaru, Citroen and Ford all have cars in the WRC with wings and scoops like that, not just Subaru," Rowe says.

Kia is confident the Sport-Pac will be popular with young people who want a car that looks fast but who can't afford to buy or maintain a car such as a WRX or a Lancer EVO.

"This conversion won't affect people's insurance premiums and that is quite important for people who are 25," Rowe says.

"It is also very affordable."

Herald Sun
Well, I do like the wheel design better, but something tells me they're not forged. (I promise no pun was intended, but I did catch in preview)

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Subaru spokesman David Rowley says: "We are confident that people will be able to distinguish between this car and the WRX. For a start, there is a slight difference in the acceleration figures."

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
good god, did kia just hire all of hundai's(sp?) designers or something?

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Gentlemen....It has finally arrived....

F A C T O R Y built R I C E

Kia, a box of Uncle Ben's to ya!

No surprise though. The Korean makers have exsisted on mimicing the looks of their Japanese counterparts for years.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
ditch the gold rims and it would look half of a half of a half way different. IBstreetkias.com or whatever has marked the day in red on their calenders

·
Registered
2,838 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
I am very convinced that photo is not real, more like a product of great photoshop. there is too much on that car that mimicks WRX, going from WRC Blue paint, WRX scoop, gold rims...it has no bodykit, it is exactly stock in the front, and at that level, manufacturer would not get away with it. Am i the first one to notice all this?

Is there any other info on this car? The article is ridicilously funny and sarcastic for any jurnalist out there and seems to be unprofessional.

D

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I thought there might be an article about it, but i cant remember, ive seen this picture on eleventy billion forums and i think focaljet atleast twice maybe.

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
ok, now if i actually had to get a Kia, i would get a Spectra GSX. who the [censored] would buy a Rio with the intent on anything other than cheap ass transportation? wouldn't they put out a sport version of the Spectra?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
359 Posts
Do the potential owners of this "model" have any idea how hard they'll be laughed at on the road? And I thought the Dodge Durango with the Type R badges on the side that parks in my parking lot was funny!

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Gentlemen....It has finally arrived....

F A C T O R Y built R I C E

Kia, a box of Uncle Ben's to ya!

No surprise though. The Korean makers have exsisted on mimicing the looks of their Japanese counterparts for years.
Dumb [censored]. Factory made rice? You call that rice? That [censored] looks better then a Focus. Looks better then a SVT Focus. Then again it's a Kia...but it sure as hell isn't RICE.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts