Ford Focus Forum banner

41 - 60 of 294 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Jesus... that thing is ****! If I ever visit that part of the world, I gotta check this thing out in person! The pics are awesome, too by-the-way.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Jesus... that thing is ****! If I ever visit that part of the world, I gotta check this thing out in person! The pics are awesome, too by-the-way.
I will be over there in a few months. Can't wait to see it in action.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #43

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
England near lakenheath area.

I'm bring my st with me.

·
Registered
60 Posts
wondered why you never had a thread on p.f. but have been keeping a eye on your progress on rsoc and such.
be good to get a few of us together for a track day next year, pick a track like oulton or Anglesey so it half way for all of us.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
that was when i had e85 in the car, i never got it to idle right :lol: i run 93 now.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Ok little update! one of the more exciting ones imo , as its another big box ticked!

Suspension!

I had emailed KW last year about this and had to sit down after finding out the price! haha , originally wanted a V3 clubsport set up but they didnt and still dont do one for the RS , so the tech started asking me plans with the car ect ect told him my ideas and he basicly said you need 2 way race set up due to running slicks

thought fair enough and put it to the side as i still had to build the engine at this point!

fast forward a year and i have finally got some!

opens the box up and then i see a issue with the rear

IMG_3379 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

turns out there was a rear cup adaptor missing , quick phone to KW and i had the following parts send over to me!

machinedcaps by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

no to me , these honestly look like they were machined just for me , they have jaw marks on the other side and the inside hasnt been re anodised , im not sure if kev was , but im about 90% sure this is the only KW 2 way race kit fitted to the RS and thats why there was parts missing

any way they were fitted to the hight adjusters like so

capfitted by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

and fitted the spring perfectly !

Next up chunky dampners!

dampner by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

high difference from these to the AP spring

rear set up

rearsetup by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

front camber and caster top mounts

topmounts by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

front set up!

frontsetup by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

so got some coil over socks as its disappointing to see the bodys arnt stainless steel :( guess big budget race teams dont need to worry about that ! , car will rairly be out in the wet and defo wont be on the road in the wet! , so a cover of wax and the coil over sock should hopefully stop the **** getting on them!

now just after some camber and toe arms for the rear and maby the whiteline caster bush and then hopefully get the car set up :D

might get on track in November! :D

·
Registered
371 Posts
FORD US WHY YOU HAVE TO BE DUMB AND NOT GIVE US RS?? Props man, this is a great build.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
It is surprising KW didn't use a set of stainless steel dampers since they do make them for the mk1 Focus. Other then that I got nothing, the car speaks for itself beautifully.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I've got ST coilovers, they are made by KW only difference is they are not stainless steel and the spring ratio is 5 lbs stiffer, probably manufacturer customized a set for him using both brands.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
No mix and match here , this is how all race spec KW's come from kw them self , you have to remember these arnt ment to be on the road really , pure track only and if the race cars in one peice sent to kw for a refurb and that is when the body's would get cleaned and re anodised

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Right little update as not much is happening tbh , not lost interest in the car , but just had other things going on that i havnt had the time to play about with the focus!

ever since the coilovers have went on the car is super highly unstable at high speed , highlighting the fact its maybe time for a full cornerweight and geo set up!

before that could happen got some camber and toe arms ordered

not the cheapest by far ! but they are pillow bearing (rose jointed) and are beefy items which is exactly what i wanted and will allow the back end to get set up just the way i want it !

so big thanks to G at carpartsexpress for getting me these from the states! he is also a hardrace dealer now if anyone else wants these :)

armsnlegs by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

camber by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

toe by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

any way took some more photos of them of them on the cars :)

cam (1) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

cam (2) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

cam (3) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

cam (4) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

·
****ney-4-Life!
3,685 Posts
Can I ask what car you owned and drove before the RS?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
what was the cost on these and how much better are they than the gaz units?
I think it was about just under 3k for suspension , I can't really comment as iv never had Gaz , I did think about it with them being a uk company but iv had zero issues with kw's customer support so can't use that as a issue, all depends on budget I guess , I'm not 100% sure what a similar set up would cost with Gaz coil overs

Can I ask what car you owned and drove before the RS?
Hello, bit of a random one haha, but no prob, had a 2000 1.8 light sapphire blue focus with all the normal mods, other than a pinto field car that's all iv owned as I'm only 23

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I'm not 100% sure what a similar set up would cost with Gaz coil overs
I think it would only be about half of that cost but I have heard really good things about the KW's. Its funny too because the only complaint seems to be that the bodies don't always keep away corrosion/rust.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
No they won't , and I asked the question and this was the answer

Big race teams don't need to have coilovers that will last years with out rusting , they refresh them after every seisson

Also stainless seams to be a weaker material

So that's basically the two main reasons why they aren't stainless body's

41 - 60 of 294 Posts