Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... and the V10 powered Mustang inside on page 67. Now, now children, walk to your nearest bookstore, there is enough for everyone. Now this is a back-handed bitchslap for Chevy!! Ford has a new bitch .. and her name is Chevy.

"Whatever you think you see, this car doesn't exist."

·
Registered
759 Posts
factory or custom?

·
Banned
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Factory, yet according to the write-up, the people you would expect to have had a hand in the car, didn't. There was no SVT/SVE or Ford Racing involvement. The V10 used has nothing in common with the SD pickup V10.

5.8L V10 aluminum block/head
DOHC - 4 valve heads
430HP @ 6500
405TQ @ 5500
3600 lbs
4.4 sec 0-60 - traction limited
12.9/114mph 1/4's - traction limited

·
Internet = Serious Business
628 Posts
That honestly doesn't look that impressive out of a V10. A Z06 Vette has 405hp/400ft. lbs. with a plain old 350. A V10 should be pushing Viper numbers but even then with the GT, a super Stang won't happen. I've never liked the sound of V10's anyway.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
That honestly doesn't look that impressive out of a V10. A Z06 Vette has 405hp/400ft. lbs. with a plain old 350. A V10 should be pushing Viper numbers but even then with the GT, a super Stang won't happen. I've never liked the sound of V10's anyway.
You probably didn't think it through, but that is a 351 cubic inch V10 versus a 350 cubic inch V8... The number of cylinders has almost nothing to do with horsepower output.

That leaves the Z06 V8 at 1.157 hp/cube and 1.143 ft/lbs per cube. The Ford V10 is putting out 1.225 hp/cube and 1.153 ft/lbs per cube.

Explain to me again how the Z06 engine is more impressive?

As for the sounds, the article specifically states that this engine sounds nothing like a Viper V10, so I'd go as far as to say that none of us have a clue what it sounds like.

I wish this had a chance of seeing production. It looks like a neat extension of the modular motor technology.

·
Registered
280 Posts
the chevy motors arent truly 350s anymore anyway there like 346s lol

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
yup...and windsors were 347's for a while too. Bore it out .030 and now you've got yoruself a 350/351...that was the intention behind the change.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
chevy is ford's bitch now?

well, i guess after 30 years of ford being dominated by chevy, it was bound to happen.

and, the ZO6 motor is NOT a plain old 350. it's an LS6. Which might be the best engine ever built so far. (to me).

405hp / 400 ft lbs, and STILL get 30mpg highway.

btw, the mustang and the corvette are two totally different cars.

and, why is it that most people, when arguing cars, usually attacks the specific output or gross output of the engine, and it's 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.. there's so much more

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
brings up an important point...if LS6's can get 30 mpg on the highway, why can't our supposedly more efficient OHC v8's do the same? esp considering wtih their lower outputs, they must not be burning as much fuel per revolution.

edit: I was referring to Ford's v8. At the moment chevy and dodge are still with pushrods...and ford doesn't.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Re: Ummmmm ... anyone see the latest Motor Trend .

The LS1 does not get 30 mpg.

It is rated at 19 city 28 highway for a manual.
18/25 for an auto.

And that is the EPA rating, which means driving the car right. My brother has a 2002 LS1, he averages about 23 mpg, and he drives "with spirit" but not insane. (Almost all highway.)

Also efficientcy is more then just mpg. Again according to the EPA, ford's V8 is two less points (4) on the pollution score.

just some thoughts.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts

Also add in that on the 6 Speeds on the F-bodies and Vette have/had a shift lockout for better MPG...I believe they force you to shift from 2 to 4th gear to keep up the better MPG. Also add in different gear etc and you can get good Gas Mileage in just about anything.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The LS6 350 is nothing like the old SBC 350 found in their trucks. You can't just twist out that much power by hanging a muffler on a small block Chevy. That motor package is the best evolution of the small block V8 to date. I say this being anything but a GM fan.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
That motor package is the best evolution of the small block V8 to date.
Definately. And, my uncle has gotten 32.9mpg highway with some traffic in his 99 coupe vette (6spd).

It IS possible.

What is EPA's ratings for a 2002 zx3? I get 36-37mpg highway in my zx3.

edit: and i believe the lockout is 1st---> 4th if you accelerate slowly... it's pretty wierd, but i guess you get used to it.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts

I checked out the article while at the grocery store, pretty neat.

I was impressed at the apparent dedication the engineers had to produce this. Being outside SVT I'm sure they faced some serious red-tape.

·
Registered
795 Posts

Sooo, who's in for cramming that engine into a focus?

·
Banned
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Sooo, who's in for cramming that engine into a focus?
I have the same thought. If the SVT Cobra can go in there, then that V10 should be a natural.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
yup...and windsors were 347's for a while too. Bore it out .030 and now you've got yoruself a 350/351...that was the intention behind the change.
Windors have always been 289,302,351.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
chevy is ford's bitch now?

well, i guess after 30 years of ford being dominated by chevy, it was bound to happen.
THAT is the funniest statement I'VE ever read
**cough, where's the Camaro?, cough**

and, the ZO6 motor is NOT a plain old 350. it's an LS6. Which might be the best engine ever built so far. (to me).
The LS6 was originally a 454. Chevy decided to bring back the name because most dumbarse people don't know the difference.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts