Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which one??? none of the sites really give any specs on HP increases all seem to be very general. Anyone have an STR?? If the pullies are all about the same may as well get the cheapest one avaiable???

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
hit up ray at myfordperformance.com , he has a special goin on mac UDPs. 75bux w/belt...cant beat that.

-Ult

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
cheaper is better

·
Registered
253 Posts
Cheaper is better if functionality is the same. Anyone know why this unit is sold for a little more than half the price of other UDP setups? I was leaning to the FocusCentral two piece unit...

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
they all end up the same people. realize some people's parts 4 a rip 4 price and ur payin 4 a name. when u get down 2 it, any udp is a cant miss. just make sure u get it from a good dealer (sponsor preferable) and thats all u need 2 worry bout. yeah the h2o pulley is a nice idea, but its not necessary...and besides i know it'll unnerve a few of u slowin the water/coolant psi down.

-Ult

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
the afx that tony d at www.newedgeperformance.com is said to be one of the best as far as actual hp increases. it's one of the smallest pullies out there. i'm going to go with the FC 3 piece, but that's just because i'm getting a great deal from a friend on his used set. otherwise i'd go with the afx.

Nate

·
Registered
379 Posts
I've got the str.. Its a pain in the ass to put it on though.. Its the Alt-pulley. but as long as you use the good ol' impact wrench, should'nt be a problem. Haven't gotten the numbers on it specifically though, since I put it on along with headers, quiafe, Fidanza flywheel. Centerforce clutch. etc.. you know all the drivetrain goodies.

Hard to tell what the performance gains on that single part since there is a world of difference with all the others,, LOL

·
Registered
662 Posts
Maybe this will help...

Here's a picture of the FC, FR and MAC crank pulleys side by side. All are 4" in diameter. The Ford Racing pulley is the lightest weighing in at 7 ounces. The Focus Central pulley from the 3 piece kit weighs 8.2 ounces and the MAC weighs 8.8 ounces.

The MAC is a painted product, not sure if it's steel or what... Where as the FR and FC pulleys are anodized aluminum. It's certainly not as fancy, and I have no numbers in terms of performance improvement, though MAC says it's a 4 HP gain. It's also nearly half as much as the FR or FC pulley kits. So a good alternative for people looking to say a few bucks for something which once installed, you can't really see anyway...

Anyone have size and weight numbers on the other pulleys?

[ 02-16-2003, 11:12 PM: Message edited by: myFordPerformance.com ]

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Originally posted by UltegraSTI:
they all end up the same people. realize some people's parts 4 a rip 4 price and ur payin 4 a name. when u get down 2 it, any udp is a cant miss. just make sure u get it from a good dealer (sponsor preferable) and thats all u need 2 worry bout. yeah the h2o pulley is a nice idea, but its not necessary...and besides i know it'll unnerve a few of u slowin the water/coolant psi down.

-Ult
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">i thought the water pulley was set for more spin to compensate for the reduced spin from the UDP on the crank?

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Originally posted by Bmorezx3:
the afx that tony d at www.newedgeperformance.com is said to be one of the best as far as actual hp increases. it's one of the smallest pullies out there. i'm going to go with the FC 3 piece, but that's just because i'm getting a great deal from a friend on his used set. otherwise i'd go with the afx.

Nate
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This post sums it up...
PERIOD .
IMO, FORGET the other two pulleys, and "Focus" on the Crank Pulley.
The Best UnderDrive, IMO is provided by the Single AF/X Crank UDP.
Tony D is a Great Sponsor!!
Maybe the AF/X is not the Cheapest, but it's FAR from most Expensive, and well worth every penny.
Easy Install + the MOST Gains in a UDP for the Zetec.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Originally posted by demonfire:
i thought the water pulley was set for more spin to compensate for the reduced spin from the UDP on the crank?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The Water pump pulley is larger to compensate for belt length. With the larger pulley the factory drive belt still fits. So you don't need a new belt and don't have to worry about remembering belt part numbers when it comes time to replace it.

[ 02-17-2003, 03:25 AM: Message edited by: Seattle944t ]

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I don't know how somebody can say that one pulley is really better than another. 2 ounces does nothing for power. They are all a matter of what you want to spend IMHO. I have a Unorthodox Pulley on my car and I love it. I had a Ford Racing/Eslinger pulley as well and saw no diffrence except for look. they were the same weight and size. So anyone telling you that one is the best is only telling you that they are happy with what they have and that my friend is a matter of personal preferance...

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
They ARE very Close and Similar.
Size DOES matter though, as well as weight.
Those are the two ways that the UDP provides its benefit.
The smaller and lighter, the less power the accessories drain from the wheels.
If the UnOrthodox and the Esslinger are the same weight and size, OF COURSE there will be no difference besides looks....They don't DO anything on their own which isn't dependent on weight and size.
That's why I chose the AF/X.
The differences ARE Very minor. I'm not claiming anything big here, just that there IS a Difference.

[ 02-17-2003, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: MichaelXi ]

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Originally posted by 02InfraZX:
Which one??? none of the sites really give any specs on HP increases all seem to be very general. Anyone have an STR?? If the pullies are all about the same may as well get the cheapest one avaiable???
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If under drive is really what your after then go to tony D and get the AFX, it's the smallest of the bunch. On the three piece sets you'll get a larger water pump pulley to compensate for the smaller crank pulley, and this too will under drive the water pump even more than just the crank pulley. And I don't know if I would want to slow down the water pump too much, especially if you live in an area with high ambient temps already. The alternator pulley in these kits are the same diameter as stock, and the difference in weight is negligable so not much gain (if any) there. I had the AFX on my wifes car for a while and really didn't think it did much good untill I replaced it with the stock pulley, I could reall feel the difference then.

·
Registered
190 Posts
What part of they are ALL 4" dia. did you miss?
OOOOOOh, you must mean the rotational mass difference of 1.8 oz.

Milan

·
Registered
727 Posts
anyone know how much the afx pulley weighs?

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Originally posted by vme:
What part of they are ALL 4" dia. did you miss?
OOOOOOh, you must mean the rotational mass difference of 1.8 oz.

Milan
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">afx is 3.5"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts