Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a Focus LX Sedan with the basic Instrument Cluster. All i want to do is to replace it with the Cluster found in high models. The Cluster with a tach and oil and stuff. I don't want anything fancy, I was thinking of getting one from a junk yard. My question is, do i need and wiring harnesses or are all of the plugs already in there and its just a matter of taking out the old one and plugging in the new one. Please help me out with this. Thanks

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
If you get a gauge cluster with a tach, you will need to buy a tach driver. Prolly like $50 from ford or other suppliers.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
CrazyWella

If you get a gauge cluster with a tach, you will need to buy a tach driver. Prolly like $50 from ford or other suppliers.

WTF, no you dont, there are plenty of use Spi guys that have put in the ZX3/Zetec guage cluster with no "tach driver".

As stated above the milage stays with the cluster, not with the car, so you can deal with the milage differance or bring it to your local Ford dealer and let them reprogram it, but I've heard it cost about $80.

·
Registered
381 Posts
As stated above the milage stays with the cluster, not with the car, so you can deal with the milage differance or bring it to your local Ford dealer and let them reprogram it, but I've heard it cost about $80.
when i asked the dealer about it he said they couldn't do it.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
when i asked the dealer about it he said they couldn't do it.
I think they have to send it off to have it done, at least thats whats been said before on [FJ].

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I called a junkyard and the guy said that it wasn't possible to do because of the connections. Can somebody explain how to do it or does this guy not know what hes talking about.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Yeah the dealer won't and can't reprogram the mileage. You have to buy a brand new cluster and its sent to the dealership with all the info in it. ABS traction control blah blah blah. I had a tach cluster and the stupid ABS and Brake light would stay on. My car didn't have ABS from the factory so I had to put my stock tachless back in. Yeah I could pull the bulbs but that's not how I fix things.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I called a junkyard and the guy said that it wasn't possible to do because of the connections. Can somebody explain how to do it or does this guy not know what hes talking about.
it simple. it an easy plug. just unplug the old, then plug in the new, and your done. the junkyard guy is obviously clueless.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
He's got his head up his own butt, all you have to do is remove the cluster bezel, then remove the 4 screws that hold the inst. cluster in, pull the cluster out so you can get your hand behind it and pull the "cam tab", look behind the cluster you'll know what I'm talking about, then reverse the operation, only takes about 20-30 min.

<font color="blue"> I'll say it again, the milage stays with the cluster not the car </font>

·
I'll Buy YOUR car for $10,000!!!
3,602 Posts
<font color="blue"> I'll say it again, the milage stays with the cluster not the car </font>
so get one with lower milage.....wait, that would be wrong...

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
He doesnt know what he's talking about. It plugs right in.

And my dealer quoted me $90 to reprogram the odometer.

Its not illegal, as long as it is being adjusted to show the actual milage. The law is very clear on that point.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts