Ford Focus Forum banner

Urgent!! AEM short ram install help!!

541 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Onespeed 
#1 ·
im in the process of installing it and i think im missing a few bolts! im at the point where im installing it to the distrib., but i dont have a bolt to go through the black spacer. they gave me a nut, and a metal spacer, and this little plastic black thing, (its less than half and inch small and kinda pointy on both sides?) please help, am i supposed to reuse the stock bolt somehow, which is way to short. thanks for your help in advance.

oh and if anyone has some good close up pics of it installed that would help also, thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
well i got it ghetto riged right now, but i still need to know if im missing stuff so i can call the place i got it from and get them to send me whatever else i need. so if anybody can help please do so. it does look and sound good, but i need a permanant solution pretty soon cuz it's not very sturdy right now.

#3 ·
I havent worked with the AEM short ram before...Ok so what is bolting this down?ok from the tb to the MAFS then the filter is on the MAFS, but how is this all staying on??whats keeping it from bouncing up and down? as far as I know short rams dont come with any support..like my bud had a KKM short ram and it just sat there and bounced up and down..

#4 ·
aem has a long piece of metal that your supposed to bolt to the distributor bracket, but you have to use this black plastic spacer, which means my stock bolt won't fit, unless im just doing it all wrong. it was a breeze to install other than that part.

#5 ·
huh? i had the short ram, there was a bracket that connected to the upper /right side valve cover bolt. You must be talking about the cold air, thats the one that has a bracket that connects to the distributor. If so, the piece is rubber, with a bolt sticking out each end. One side goes in the distrib, (the rubber is the spacer) and the bracket goes on the other side (the nut holds it all in place). Did you get it used, cause the instructions have pics.

#6 ·
no, its new and its the short ram. the instructions were fine, they just weren't detailed, ive got it installed within 20-30 minutes, its just not very sturdy. also, you must have the first version that bolted to the value cover instead of the distrib. check out this thread... aem warning and props thanks for trying though, anyone else? i'll take some pics when i get home from work. later

#7 ·
I had this same issue, not all the parts were included.

I have now sent 2 emails to Modern Performance about this with no response.

I was able to attain a smaller stud from AutoZone but it is still not right.

Also screwing in the MAF one of the bolt's head came right off and the thread is a little different then a normal fine thread so replacement screws won't work.

#8 ·
bump, can anyone at least remember how many bolts came with there short ram? thanks

(edit: here's were i think i missing the bolt!)

[ 12-15-2002, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: liquidG ]

#9 ·
I just installed an AEM Short Ram yesterday, here is what I came across: All of the hardware was actually in the package. The only problem I encountered was the stock screws that held the MAF on were almost like wood screws, very course thread, probably because it went into plastic. The AEM threads are fine machine threads, (4mm to be exact) so I had to rummage through old bike parts and found two 4mm allen head bolts, worked fine. The support bracket that mounts where the old air box mounted lined up perfectly, the picture you show liquidg is the rubber mount bushing and should have a large flat washer and nut to hold it from the bottom and then another flat washer and nut to hold the support bracket down. My only problem is now my engine seems to be struggling at idle, gasping for air. I know it takes some time for the computer to re-learn the amount of air it is receiving, is this normal and how long does it last? Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.