Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
███████
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys good news for all of us used car buyers Clicky HERE !

Verry good news ! but bad news for me.... (I work in the used car dept) >LOL

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I dont like it. As soon as someone buys a car, they'll go down the street to the next lot, tell the salesmans they bought xxx GT for 6500, they'll sell them a similair car for 100 less, and he'll return the car. BS for everyone. If your not ready to buy, dont.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hmmm, I think they would need to get another car a lot cheaper then 100bucks less to pay the restocking fee that the article talked about. It sounds ok to me, goldse why do you think this will hurt you?

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
You know what.... with the crappy way that dealerships let you take "test rides" (I refuse to call them test drives cuz you don't really get to drive it how you're gonna drive it) I think that this needs to be implimented for new cars as well.

If you're pissed cuz you're gonna lose sales... perhaps its time to rethink your sales strategy.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
OK. Didnt read the article. Point taken. But the principle remains. One shouldnt buy until their ready. Research. Shop. Then buy. Dont get a hard on for something you cant afford or arent educated enough to buy. Buyers remorse is BS!!! If you got something you really didnt want, you need to sleep in the bed you made. Once again, this legislation is a case of people not wanting to take responsibility for their own actions.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Oh and Car Dealerships NEVER emplore any underhanded tactics when selling cars, like throwning in "clear coat" after the agreed sale price, right?

Come on man.... you've got to be kidding.

·
I can't stop typing...I can't stop typing...I can'
6,037 Posts
Dude don’t forget this is for USED cars…

Dealers, true or untrue, have a reputation of ripping people off with cars that are in “good” shape that really have issues with them. This gives people the option of seeing if the car is really ok, and returning it if there is something wrong with the car.

I don’t think the dealers will lose money either if there is a restocking fee. I work retail at Circuit City. When there was no restocking fee we had an exorbitant level of returns on digital cameras. People would come in and buy something, return it, and buy something else, return it, and on and on. Once we implemented a 15% restocking fee returns went WAY down. It gives people the option of returning something if it is something that is REALLY not right for them. It does not force the person to be stuck with something that is completely wrong for there need, but it does not let them get away scot free for there mistake either.

Also if the restocking fee is anything like retail (say 15%) that’s a good chunk of money to be able to return a car. Take a $10,000 car, a 15% restocking fee would be a $1,500 restocking fee. I bet that is about what most dealers make anyway, and then the dealer would be able to turn around and resell the car at basically the same price. It’s already used, so it’s not going to drop significantly more in value from a few 100 more miles. Hell I bet some shady dealers would be able to make money off of this by reselling the car several times!

·
[FJ] Fail Brigade
4,986 Posts
i got a good deal from the dealership when ipurchased my focus except after i got it and realised thet they screwed me by covering up some scratches with touch up paint which washed off after i went through the car wash. but only payed 6000 for a 2000 zx3 w/44k on the clock, brand new tires.(7200 otd with a 3yr 3x000 mile warranty taxes, plates etc. about 6months before i got the car they were asking 7000 or maybe even 7500 i forget) i'm actually going to try and use my warranty to get some things looked at this week. it will be my first trip back to the dealer since owning the car which has been since may 04

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Oh and Car Dealerships NEVER emplore any underhanded tactics when selling cars, like throwning in "clear coat" after the agreed sale price, right?

Come on man.... you've got to be kidding.
They most certainly do. But a person like yourself who is educated wont fall pray to that kind of trap. So that reinforces my point of doing proper research before making the second largest investment in ones life (the first being a wife
)

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
You know what.... with the crappy way that dealerships let you take "test rides" (I refuse to call them test drives cuz you don't really get to drive it how you're gonna drive it) I think that this needs to be implimented for new cars as well.

If you're pissed cuz you're gonna lose sales... perhaps its time to rethink your sales strategy.
What kind of test drive would you like to take. Take it out and start banging gears and squealing wheels. I would not let anyone drive my car that way let alone one of the dealer cars.
As far as bringing the car back over $100.00 I have seen it happen first hand. People sign the deal do all the paperwork don't take a car for whatever reason then go down the street and tell someone that they get them a similar car for $100.00 less and the customer will buy it.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts

Maybe you should think about going to another dealership?

I took a weekend long test drive in a focus I ended up not even buying (even though we took a little road trip to Michigan in it
) and I had my new Focus for about a day before I signed the papers and really "agreed" to buy the car.
I was only 20 at the time too...

·
Registered
19,264 Posts

Maybe you should think about going to another dealership?

I took a weekend long test drive in a focus I ended up not even buying (even though we took a little road trip to Michigan in it
) and I had my new Focus for about a day before I signed the papers and really "agreed" to buy the car.
I was only 20 at the time too...
That doesn't happen in SoCal at all.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts