Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a used focus, and in my search I have run across a few SVT's, and I was just wondering what opinions are about reliablity on the SVT compared to a ZX3, especailly at higher milage (engine life?).

-Andrew

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
The motors are stout. It's the little things you need to look out for. Some guys have clutch trouble. Some guys have persistant electrical gremlins, etc.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
I would agree with the fact that it is the little things that get you. I have never heard of anyone having any major motor problems.

On the flip side there are a few out there for sale and some are really good deals. Good Luck finding one

·
Registered
227 Posts
I blew up a motor already, but it was the dealership´s fault (that or the neighbors cat loosened the filter at night).

Make sure whoever is selling it isn´t getting rid of it because he can´t afford to replace the clutch or brakes.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I blew up a motor already, but it was the dealership´s fault (that or the neighbors cat loosened the filter at night).

Make sure whoever is selling it isn´t getting rid of it because he can´t afford to replace the clutch or brakes.
I guess those were the things I was wondering about. How much is a new clutch, how long do they last? Is a SVTF going to have a lot more maintenance than a ZX3?

-Andrew

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
i have road raced an 02 svt since new....have at least 8 to 9 k race miles on motor with no problems...and we run looong races where motor is kept between 5 and 7 k r.p.m for hours...

·
Registered
227 Posts

I guess those were the things I was wondering about. How much is a new clutch, how long do they last? Is a SVTF going to have a lot more maintenance than a ZX3?

-Andrew
The flywheel and the clutch in the car are junk from factory. Some guys are having luck with the updated clutch from Ford. I´m loving my aftermarket flywheel and clutch combination I have in mine.

Expect a price bite on the normal maintenance items if they´re svt specific. It´s not as bad as a euro car by any means though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Let's make sure we don't scare guy off with all the bad clutch talk since that only affected the 2002 model year, right? The later years all had the updated parts. A newer SVT with a warranty is still one of the best deals to be had in the sport compact market today.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am selling my 02 svtf if you are interested. it has been a great car for me. I have been the only owner. PM me if you want to know more. As for reliabilit the only issue mine had was the clutch master cylender was leaking a bit but that was repaired by a local dealership bout three weeks ago. As far as brakes go i just recently put new pads on and they are doing fine. I have a new stang on order an need to sell this car soon.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've got 110,000 miles on my 02 svtf. 50K miles ago I had to replace the alternator. And about 10K miles ago one of the rear bearings went out. I figure the clutch will need replaced sometime soon. As far as the engine goes, I think it runs as good as it ever has. It still has the rough idle sometimes but when I want to/need to bring it up to 7K it has no problems and you still feel the extra runners open up.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I agree. I'll add that unless you know it has a quality aftermarket tune of some kind (focussport or diablo, etc.) dont' worry if the drivablity is poor under 3k rpm. After 3.5k it should be all good though and sound good to boot
good luck!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I got my SVTF used and I took it to a local ford dealership to have the oil changed and other routine things. I was talking to one of the service technicians and he said that they replace quite a few clutches, but mostly because people race them around alot and dont know how to drive them properly. I would imagine the clutch is really one of those things that the owner is mostly responsible for, but when buying an SVT i would have to wonder how it was treated by its previous owner.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts