Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can this be done? I was thinking about drilling two holes (one for each person) vertically straight thru the bar. Will this sacrifice durability, rigidity, and will it provide enough stress resistance in a racing environment. I know the thing is strong like no other, just wondering if this is possible.

·
Registered
24,330 Posts
It can be done, but that is not what it was specifically designed for. If you do so, it will be at your own risk. Normally, we would mount our harnesses to a proper roll cage, that is why I made the above statement. In the case that you don't have a roll cage, you may want to mount to the factory seat belt locations.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand what your saying Randy, hence my inquiry. I'd rather not mount a roll cage in the car, mainly because I want the interior to be "comfortable" still...

As for the stress on the bar, the bolts would only go through the bar about 2" from each end of the bar, possibly eliminating bowing in the bar under extreme braking. The only thing it would putting stress on are those mounting bolts for the bar and the sheet metal itself, which I feel can withstand the fore/aft movements of a driver and passenger. I currently have them mounted to the rear passenger seat points, but the belt tailstrap is at an awkward angle. I thought this be more comfortable for racing, and when the occasional 3rd passenger comes along, the tailstrap is not sitting there......

Still waiting for others input...

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Rather than bolt them to the bar, why not use wrap around ends and just wrap them around the bar?

Now, I dont think you should use the rear stress bar as a mounting point. it isn't anchored in the proper spot to withstand the G load induced in a crash.

As for using the stock belt locations, try using the lower mounting points rather than the upper. as long as the harneses are at a 45* angle or less, you should be ok.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Currently, they are mounted where the buckles are for the rear passengers, but the bolt location is not exactly behind the driver, therefore, making the belt tensions a bit off. I just figured in using the stress bar to mount the belts directly behind me. Personally, I think this will work, it's just as good as mounting to the frame itself, because it's so close and as rigid point as the frame. Just a thought....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts