Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
torque spec?? on your valve cover?? man just tighten that sucker down (in an acceptable circular pattern) check it a week later to make sure no oil leaks out, just to be on the safe side

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
well, you can do that to yours. I have seen issues with people taking that kind of approach. Not on the focus, but any car has a specific torque spec. With my stang I use to torque it down and then check the torque again in a few weeks. I will just call the dealer and see if they can help.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Originally posted by B-NI$E:
torque spec?? on your valve cover?? man just tighten that sucker down (in an acceptable circular pattern) check it a week later to make sure no oil leaks out, just to be on the safe side
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Uh, I wouldn't do that if I were you. Plus a circular pattern in a tightening sequence is not a standard in auto work. Diagonal is more typical, as it provides more evenly distributed pressure.

The gasket may not seat properly/evenly and cause the cover to leak oil. In addition, if you have an early 2000 model (as I do) you have a Magnesium/Aluminum composite valve cover, which will bend if not tightened in the correct sequence and torqued down properly. I have the specs somewhere around, and will post them when I locate them.

EditV1: OK found them. Working in a diagonal sequence from the center outward, tighten all bolts by hand. Once tighened, use same sequence, and tighten to 60 in-lbs.

EditV2: Oh yeah, as far as anything else is concerned, the job is cake. As far as gasket reuse is concerned, that would depend on the condition of the gasket. It is is hard or brittle in ANY spot, then replace it. Otherwise, it should work out to reuse, as long as it is not disfigured in any way.

[ 12-31-2002, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: poSSumX ]

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
5.16 ftlbs, or go in two steps 1)2nm 2)7nm

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Oh and DO NOT over tighten the bolts, they WILL break. At least one did on my SVT F when I tried to guess without using a trq wrench.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I called the dealer and they were too busy to help me.

Not sure if it matters, but mine is a 02 svt. some people have been having issues with early cam wear so I wante to pull my valve cover and check the cam lobes. I would think the specs should be the same for the svt motor but not sure. I did post this in the svt forum but it got moved here. Anyone know for sure? Hopefully the dealer will help me next time I call. thanks for the info so far.

I only have 3k miles on the car so the gasket should be fine. just need to be careful removing the cover.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Yeah Sonic Blue just look a couple of replys up, it is 5.16ftlbs or going in two steps first tighten in pattern mentioned above to 2nm then in same pattern 7nm. And BE CAREFUL NOT TO OVER TIGHTEN! I broke one bolt on my SVT by over tightening.
I am sure this is the info you need due to the fact I have the same car as you and was doing the exact same thing a few nights ago. After seeing I had to take off a lot more stuff than I thought I am going to to leave it to the dealer to check for me. I will be telling them I am concerned that my ticking noise might be due to worn cams, so they will check for me and I wont mess anything else up. Good luck

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
thanks infrared and everyone else.

[ 12-31-2002, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: SonicBluSVT 02' ]

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
1) Anyone know the torque specs?

2) And anyone who has removed it, do you have any pointers? Process/procedure for removal and additional parts that may need to be removed? covers, belts etc.

3) It looks like the gasket is a re-useable rubber gasket right?

thanks
Jason

1 - 10 of 10 Posts