Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have adjustable cam gears, and assuming that my cams are installed at exactly TDC (using cam and crank alignment tools), what is the ideal range of valve overlap (in degrees) to extract the most power gains from the stock head. Any educated responses would be appreciated. BTW, this would be overlap above and beyond the stock setting (0,0)
If it is helpfull, I am looking for a powerband in the 4,000-6,000 rpm rangfe

[ 12-10-2002, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: hatchblack ]

·
Registered
207 Posts
Get on a dyno and tune it. Foci seem to have such different HP measurements from the factory, this is the only true method of really getting the most of your cam gears.

Josh

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand that the cams are not tuned presicely fromt the factory, but when I had the cam gears installed, the crank peg tool was used and at 0,0 I am at exactly TDC. There must be someone out there who has done the install exactly to spec, and their baseline cam timing should be exactly the same. Unless there are other variables besides camshaft and crankshaft alignment that I am not accounting for. I would prefer to not spend the money on a dyno if there is someone else that did the install with the alignment tools - then we would be comparing apples to apples.

·
Registered
745 Posts
any aftermarket add-ons are variables...the wear on your air filter...fuel filter...airpressure...all are variables...the only thing another person may offer you is saying "it likes more intake than exhaust" or vice versa...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Another variable is the timing belt tension adjustment. This HAS to be done with the cam sproket bolts loose. Also, the service manual states that the tension adjustment is only valid for a NEW belt. If you use the old belt your timing WILL be different.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts