Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm just curious as to whether anybody has installed upgraded valve springs or titanium retainers?
I'm planning on higher lift, longer duration cams, and a higher redline.
How difficult is this process?
I've changed the cam gears on the engine, and that wasn't all that bad at all.
Does changing valve springs involve removing the head at all?
I dont't think it is necessary, but if any of you have done so, you're 2 cents would be great!
Thanks!

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
please dont do it yourself, you need special tools, special specs and all the right measurements

YES gotta take the head off...i have them, but i didnt do them myself...i got it as a headpackage

What kinda cams u gonna get?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I wouldn't mind trying it out.
I have the shop manual and need to read up majorly on it.
As for tools, I might just rent them.
I'll purchase the valve spring compressor. Not expensive.

As for cams, I'm prolly looking at .405 lift cams, and not sure on duration. I want to be at the edge of not drivable/drivable.
As long as the idle doesn't die when it's really cold it should be fine. I'm still planning everything out right now. This is something for next Spring.
I will also be increasing the red line, and rev limiter. Prolly looking at first around 7600 RPM, after I get my rod bolts. I'm still not sure whether the stock rods can be revved much past 7200-7600 rpm.
Thanks for the quick response!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Would those be a good investment with crane stage 2s? I plan on getting my head ported and polished, I guess to match the cams. If that's possible. Would titanium makes sense since my head is coming off anyway? What's a good price for a port and polish plus removal and installation?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
some people are running the crower stage 2's (a more agressive cam) w/ stock springs and retainers.

·
Registered
542 Posts
You will need more than just a valve spring compressor. I have installed the crower valvetrain package on a zetec head so I know. Unless you are knowledegable about engine buildup/machining I suggest having a professional install those parts for you. There are precision measuring tools needed that most average joes don't have in their tool box.

·
Registered
329 Posts
it is possible to do it without taking the head off, but only by someone who knows what they are doing. for the do it yourselfer, I suggest taking the head off, but good luck getting the keepers in if you dont know what you are doing, and pay close attention to detorque and torqueing the cams if you are going to change your cams, or they will ned up snaping like a twig.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts