Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished installing a set of Kent cams and Kent cam gears. The cams came with shim for the int & ext valves. While breaking in the cams, I noticed that the motor had more valve train noise then before.... Yup, now my car ticks LOUD!

Does anyone have an idea on what it could be. Even though the Cams came with shims, could I also need buckets?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ukcuhp. I wasn't sure, but I'm going to get a feeler gauge so I check them just to make sure.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Valve lash should ALWAYS be checked when changing the cams. Use the lash settings that are on the cam card supplied with the cam.

If you didn't get a card, get in touch with the manufacturer. You can't always use the numbers on their web page. I know that the numbers on the Crower web page didn't agree with the cam card that was shipped with my cam.

G

·
0 Posts
My ZX5 is stock for now and only 3K miles on it. Th valves are making a ton of noise.... Take it back to the dealer fot adjustment????

·
Car Czar of Death
4,784 Posts
Originally posted by tstmonkey:
My ZX5 is stock for now and only 3K miles on it. Th valves are making a ton of noise.... Take it back to the dealer fot adjustment????
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This is cause the stock valve clearance is alot, its like you can see thru, i believe its .040".

the only way to get the best valve clearance is with shimable tappets and shims from ford.

I have them on my new head and its very east to shim the cams.

chris

·
Registered
389 Posts
Originally posted by CTZX3:
This is cause the stock valve clearance is alot, its like you can see thru, i believe its .040".

the only way to get the best valve clearance is with shimable tappets and shims from ford.

I have them on my new head and its very east to shim the cams.

chris
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This seems to be bad advice.

Stock valve clearance :

Intake = .11mm - .18mm (about .004" - .007")
Exhaust = .27mm - .34mm (about .011" - .013")

No where near .040".

Valve lash is checked on a cold engine. (about 70F)

I have not seen shims for the Zetec engine that can be ordered from Ford. You can order valve tappets in different sizes. They're about $10.00 each.

If Ford does sell shims, can someone supply a part number?

·
Car Czar of Death
4,784 Posts
im not giving advise on the .040, this is what i have found on the two new heads i have and a new engine i have in a crate.

here are the part numbers, they are from a 98 contour.

the tappets are $4 the shims are 2 for $1
Shimable Tappets - F8CZ-6500-BA
Shims - 6K514

chris

[ 01-19-2003, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: CTZX3 ]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts