Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
RECORD PROFITS
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents got all pissed at me because I ordered my suspension stuff. They were like, you didn't talk to us when I tried to talk to them 50 times. So now they're both pissed at me. I so childish, I save most the money I earn and I actually need NEW shocks because my car rides like garbage.

I'm supposed to save 2/3 and spend 1/3. Now what, I'm not even allowed to spend the 1/3 I own on what I want?

·
You Can't Make Me Laugh
4,566 Posts
Consider yourself lucky that you even had the option to spend your money.

When I lived at home, my dad made me bring home my pay stub after I cashed the check, and he would verify that it was all there, hand me $20 and lock up the rest.
When ever I wanted something for myself they would tell me I don't need it and keep my money.

I didn't learn a damn thing from it because if I see something I want, I buy it, savings-be-damned.

·
RECORD PROFITS
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well now my dads all pissed, and he's being annoying to my mom cause he's pissed at me. It's not that big of a deal, I have friends that have worked all summer long and have $0.00 to show for it because they waste it on other deconstructive things.

And, he told my mom, he was like "why is he waste all his money on crap for his car he'll never make it back if he tries to sell it". First off I'm not going to and second off if I am going to, I'm going to rip it all of my car and sell it here on [FJ]. It's not a waste at all.

This happened like 3 years ago when I bought a gameboy and games. In the end, I sold it a year later and lost $10.00 on the deal.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Why not be more mature than your folks and sit them down and tell them that in fact you are being responsible. Tell them that you worked for the money, you saved the money and you bought something that was of value to you and when it no longer has value to you, you can sell it to someone that it does have value to. If you are still saving money and haven't blown everything you saved, that should show them that continued responsibility is there. Ask them what they are actually trying to teach you and why is it that what you have done does not line up with that? Ask them if earned money should not be spent on something that has value to you, even if they can't see that value.

Taking this kind of approach with my parents usually made them rethink their decission on things and in places where I was FOS, they would easily call me out.

·
Registered
697 Posts
start drinking and doing drugs. that will show them.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My dad complained when I put in an amp in my car when I was in college (lol, years ago). Sure, you won't make it back. But it's not about investing, it about enjoying it.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Well...wait until they get older. They'll be wasting money on the latest thing on the Home Shopping Channel or the markets, and you'll be there returning the favour

Sometimes, parents are just like that. They don't see the future benefit. "Father knows best" policy, I usually put it. Or, sometimes it's just cultural.

Well...just be glad your parents actually pay attention to what you are doing. I know some parents that don't...and see their kids basically spending thousands and thousands to overcompensate the fact they aren't there to keep an eye on them.

·
RECORD PROFITS
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I need the perfect mixture between parents that pay attention and don't pay attention. lol.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I figured out your problem!

You're only 17, the focus is way to nice for you to have at that age. You need to appreciate driving a POS for a while. Why, when I was your age, when I wasn't walking uphill in the snow to school, I had a 1974 VW Thing.

My Thing had virtually no heat, no brakes, a shimmy in the stearing, and really never reached 60 mph unless it was going down hill. Awe, you want a nice cushy suspension, for what? Kids these days have gone soft.

Seriously though, your parents likely do have your best interest in mind. We are expensive little creatures at that age. I'm still paying off student loans from college and I'm about to take on another 60k for law school. With all that money going for tuition you'lle need money in college for things like beer. Good luck.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
Shut up and go mow the lawn.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
parent arent always right. when i was 16 mine helped me by a $3500 van. i had a job paid for the gas and maintnace. brakes went cost me $600 to fix. alittle while later trans went $1200 to fix. my mo said shell pay for it. i was like just sell it pay $1200 for a new used car. i was like it falling apart. both parents complained no fix it. i was right. a couple monthes later more problems that would cost another $1000. by then i was making $10 and hour working 40 hours a week. so i financed the focus. that was way off topic, but just an exampl parents dont always know whats best. i say you sit them down and tell them its your money. you should save half anf spend half. you need to learn to support yourself. keeping your money and not letting you make your own decisions doesnt help that. eveyone one make financial brundders im sure your parents have. you will to some day. i guess there trying to prevent it now. but hey nows a better time to learn that lesson on your own. your 17 so you might not make that much. so you wont end up losing that much. learn now rather than later when you finish school making way more. then youll end up losing way more. just me .02

·
RECORD PROFITS
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

You're only 17, the focus is way to nice for you to have at that age. You need to appreciate driving a POS for a while. Why, when I was your age, when I wasn't walking uphill in the snow to school, I had a 1974 VW Thing.

My Thing had virtually no heat, no brakes, a shimmy in the stearing, and really never reached 60 mph unless it was going down hill. Awe, you want a nice cushy suspension, for what? Kids these days have gone soft.

Seriously though, your parents likely do have your best interest in mind. We are expensive little creatures at that age. I'm still paying off student loans from college and I'm about to take on another 60k for law school. With all that money going for tuition you'lle need money in college for things like beer. Good luck.

I worked my ass off all summer. I've worked M-F 8:00am to 6:00pm. And, on top of that, had summer work to do for upcoming classes next year. I'm not being stuck up, I'm just saying I'd rather spend money on my car than say CLOTHES or FOOD or MOVIES because those don't last. Atleast a year from now I can show what I have for what I payed.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts

I worked my ass off all summer. I've worked M-F 8:00am to 6:00pm. And, on top of that, had summer work to do for upcoming classes next year. I'm not being stuck up, I'm just saying I'd rather spend money on my car than say CLOTHES or FOOD or MOVIES because those don't last. Atleast a year from now I can show what I have for what I payed.
You worked 8am--6pm. OMG, Let us all bow down to you. Gee, I can't think of anyone else on this board who has a full time job (or maybe two.)
And you had to get ready for school....awwww...did you pick out a nice backpack?

You have A LOT to learn my friend. Once you join the real world, you can make judgements about how money should be spent. Until then, maybe you should listen to people with more life experience than you.

·
WRAWRRR, BEAR CLAW!
19,258 Posts
My dad would get pissed off at me if I did stuff to my truck back in the day. But he let me do it. Now he looks back and laughs... especially considering what I do for a living now.

If I could do it all again? I'd have saved my money, and found a mentor in the industry, gone to Art Center, etc.

Hindsight is always 20:20, tho....

·
RECORD PROFITS
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's not it, how many 17yr olds work 50hr weeks + school work for college classes I'm taking next year? Most of my friends work at Mcdonalds for MAYBE 20hrs a week.

And besides, I know about money. I've saved a HUGE majority of it and when somthing comes up I make sure to put money aside. I want to spend the money that is DESIGNATED spending money by my parents, but as you heard I guess I can't can I.

I thinking I'm being mature by preferring to spend money on my car than things like food, clothes, partying, etc. Like I said a year from now I'll STILL have somthing to show for my hard work.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
I thinking I'm being mature by preferring to spend money on my car than things like food, clothes, partying, etc. Like I said a year from now I'll STILL have somthing to show for my hard work.
Not in the parents' eyes. If it were one of my parents, the argument would be that the best showing would be in your bank account, GIC/bond, home, etc., and not in a piece of machinery that will rust out or break down in the forseeable future.

It's all about perspective.

·
Ho, ho, ho... Green Giant
4,287 Posts
just curious, who's name is the car in?

Mike

1 - 20 of 34 Posts