Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on a local bridge (the market street bridge if your from the area) and there was an unbelievable amount of mayflys on the bridge, to the point of making the car slide when using the brakes. stopped at the light 2 motorcycles slid on the bugs and crashed, so being the vol. fire fighter and genuine good guy i am i hop out and grab my first aid kit and start helping the injured, leaving my car running, on the bridge with the a/c on. now anytime i use the defrost, heat, a/c, etc. the car smeels like mayflies (if you don't know the smell its a lot like dead rotting fish) i cleaned out the trough and put in a cabin air filter....what else could i do to lose the stink!??
Please help......
Vinny

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
Vinny you can try and use Ozium which is a disinfectant spray around the evaporator coil under the glovebox area to rid the odor problem.Most auto part stores carry it.When I use to work at a car dealership and people came in with a fowl rotten egg type odor from the a/c the techs would spray the evaporator coil with a disinfectant then toss a fragrant dryer sheet in the glovebox.This is just a thought of course others my have a different remedy for you to try.Keep us posted.

·
Registered
968 Posts
the techs would spray the evaporator coil with a disinfectant then toss a fragrant dryer sheet in the glovebox.
And this is why it kills me that people take their cars to the dealer out of warranty. And I bet they paid for 3 hours book time on that ticket didnt they? That "fragrant dryer sheet" prolly ended up as a "special deoderizing air element insert" on the service invoice. LMFAO..too funny

·
Internet = Serious Business
628 Posts
the techs would spray the evaporator coil with a disinfectant then toss a fragrant dryer sheet in the glovebox.
And this is why it kills me that people take their cars to the dealer out of warranty. And I bet they paid for 3 hours book time on that ticket didnt they? That "fragrant dryer sheet" prolly ended up as a "special deoderizing air element insert" on the service invoice. LMFAO..too funny
Yep, I love doing those jobs!

Now for the fix. Hit the evap coil with disinfectant, then turn the VENT on high and on the dash/floor setting. Close all doors and windows. Pop your hood and feel where the air is going into the cowel. Take some spray, like Lysol and spray into the cowel. Lysol might not smell like you want but it kills bacteria. Let it run for 15min or so. After that you can spray what ever scent you like down the vent to get rid of the Lysol smell.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts