Ford Focus Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
Young... nice, I always wanted to see inside one of those. That answers about 3 recently started threads.

Welcome to FJ.

·
Registered
215 Posts
OK, so I'm going to buy a new passenger side motor mount. I decided to take a look at the rear motor mount just to make sure I didn't need that too. How do you tell if the rear mount is bad? The "dog bone" looks fine. The bushing on the small end looks like it's not a complete circle. It looks like the circumference is missing except for a section about half an inch long at the far end. I can't tell if there's more bushing tucked inside and if that's how it's supposed to be. If it is indeed bad, I'm thinking of replacing them with prothane inserts. Do they pop in easily? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
250 Posts
SecretAgentMan2k said:
OK, so I'm going to buy a new passenger side motor mount. I decided to take a look at the rear motor mount just to make sure I didn't need that too. How do you tell if the rear mount is bad? The "dog bone" looks fine. The bushing on the small end looks like it's not a complete circle. It looks like the circumference is missing except for a section about half an inch long at the far end. I can't tell if there's more bushing tucked inside and if that's how it's supposed to be. If it is indeed bad, I'm thinking of replacing them with prothane inserts. Do they pop in easily? Thanks for any advice.
I just did the lower mount on my SVT, mine didn't look bad but I could move the motor more that .25" by hand. So I replced it with the CFM one and man what a difference that made and my car only has 51k on it.

Did any of you have this issue on acceleration? On my car I will rev to 3500 rpms in 3rd gear, hold it and if I accelerate, the floor will vibrate. If I hold the rpm or back off it goes away. I'm chasing this down on my car as I've been all over the CV's and axle support bearing and it all looks and feels good.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Dieselman959 said:
I have the same vibration when cold.....goes away once it warms up. How would a motor mount be suspect with temp?

The viscosity of the fluid when cold -vs- hot.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Ok, so I replaced the passenger side mount and it seems to have taken care of the problem! I did have a problem with not torquing the center nut enough. It allowed the mount itself to vibrate a day or so later. Someone had mentioned using 60 lb*ft and it did the trick. Also, I decided to stab at the old mount to look at the insides. It was nowhere near as elegant as youngfg's method. I noticed some nasty, gritty, mud like substance ooze out. It did not look like oil.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
im thinking maybe i need a passenger side mount too? im in the same boat. 5spd, 51000 miles, 2.0 duratec. after i got the new lower mount bushings, i got madd vibrations in the interior. the mirriors, dash, steering wheel, and floorboard all shake.. its kinda.. ummm.. worrisome...

after posting this i realized the thread is over a year old..
thus, no pics...

·
Registered
261 Posts
From youngfg post:""My car vibrated badly when cold and got better as it warmed up. The vibration would be worse when going around corners, and would momentarily go away completly when you crested a hill. The vibration was so bad it would make the rear view mirror blurry.""
This is almost precisely my experience. Replaced the passenger AND dog bone mounts. Now it is very quiet. 2004 Wagon Zetec auto

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
i inspected today!
the passenger side mount is leaking oil and i can hear a little hiss of air when i push on it..

the driver's side seems to be the side thats vibrating LOTS though, like, you can SEE the motor hopping...
should i go ahead and replace both sides?

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
i inspected today!
the passenger side mount is leaking oil and i can hear a little hiss of air when i push on it..

the driver's side seems to be the side thats vibrating LOTS though, like, you can SEE the motor hopping...
should i go ahead and replace both sides?
Yeah, might as well just replace both while you're at it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This link has bailed me out and answered a lot of my question since I had the same presenting issues as the opening thread (strong vibration when cold and gets better as it warms). So I followed the advice (sort-of) and replaced the passenger motor mount. The vibration got much better (not gone completely). Then after a couple days it was back ... and this time brought a chatter. My initial read was that I didn't get the mount tight enough to the bracket, so I pulled it, tightened it as much as I could with a 3/8 drive and a breaker bar and reinstalled. It did not fix the issue. The chatter comes after the car warms up and mostly when idleing in gear. I can make it come back by jacking the motor a tiny bit while in park. I have a couple ideas.
1) when I removed the new mount, the front mount stud backed out, so I had to put that back in. So i'm wondering if I didn't get the stud tight enough.

2) I bought an aftermarket mount (Anchor from Checker for $45). I am wondering in I got a faulty mount?

I looked for torque specs on all these bolts and found though forums that

mount to engine 60ft/lbs
bracket to body about 35ft/lbs
mount to bracket "as tight as a 3/8 drive and a breaker bar can get"

Any suggestions? I am about to take it to a dealer and I hate to spend the money (since it is tight) for a part issue.

2003 SE 2.0 split port (85,000 miles)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Passenger side front mount. The brand was Anchor. I wound up taking it to a dealer last night and have not gotten a call from them yet. I was just too afraid to keep removing and reinstalling for fear I would create a bigger issue. After the mount stud backed out and I didn't have a set of female tork sockets or the correct torque specs (and not to mention an aluminum casting)... that is a recipe for disaster.
I will post what I hear from the tech and if the issue gets resolved.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well… $380 and a frustrated Ford tech later, the car sounds like new. Turns out it was the “perfect storm”. When I installed the aftermarket passenger-side mount. It accentuated the failing driver’s side mount (the one that is under the air box.. which I failed to inspect). So that is why the vibration returned so quickly. The “chatter” turned out to be faulty seating from the mount to the bracket. My installation was fine, but I have learned my lesson with certain aftermarket parts.
I would have been best served to have inspected all the mounts before moving to action. When the Ford tech was installing the Ford passenger mount he did what I feared would happen to me… he stripped one of the bracket mount bolts, which would have put me dead in the water. So all-in-all I’m relieved that the vibration is gone but my advice to the next person would be take a look at all the mounts because the symptoms can be the same as the ones listed for the passenger mount. Also find the proper torque specs for EVERYTHING unless you are really good at tapping new holes. I hope this is helpful.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts