Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I hear a slight vibration noise as I am releasing the clutch in first gear. It seems to happen more when I am turning the wheel. It only happens in first gear and it doesn't happen often. Has anyone else experienced a similar noise? Any idea what is causing it?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I get this in the morning when I first start the car, turning the wheel. It's always been there and never gotten worse.

·
Registered
686 Posts
is this because you are letting go of the clutch to fast? i get this vibration or studder throughout the whole car when i let go just a tad to quickly.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
CAT Heat Shield - I get it too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ditto... I actually had it fixed under warranty once, and my service Rep was the one that actually figured it out. But now it's back. Probably too many pot holes...

·
Registered
426 Posts
I get this in the morning when I first start the car, turning the wheel. It's always been there and never gotten worse.

DITTO! DITTO TO YOU ALL!

I am so sick of that rattle! Especially when in the morning it gets high pitched.

·
Registered
303 Posts
If you have a SRI check that it's not resting on anything, namely the mount, it can cause a quite nasty rattle.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its definitely not the intake, this noise has been there since I purchased the car. I just installed my intake a few days ago.

Sounds like its the cat heat shield. Is it loose, how did they temporarily fix it?

·
Registered
207 Posts
The bolts could just need to be tightened up or they could be broken off completely.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
When I put my CAT back on after having the ORP for awhile I backed some of the bolts out (that had worked their way thru the heat shield) and put some washers on them. Another option would be to remove the heat shield (although I'm not positive how good that would be for the oil pan right above it) but I was talking to ShiftySVT and he said he used some big hose clamps, the metal ones with all the slots in them, to tighten his down. I think I'll definitely have to try it one of these days.

I hate that sound too.

·
Registered
303 Posts
When I was having rattle issues a while back I thought it was the cat heatshield, but it acutally turned out to be the cat bracket. Sometimes it acutally corrodes and breaks all together. The only bad part is that depending on what part is broken, you cannot just replace the bracket, instead you have to replace the cat.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried puting two big hose clamps around the cat heat shield and it doesn't really help with the noise. I also tried removing the lower heat shield, but if you tap on the bottom of the cat and you will hear the same noise. I couldn't wedge myself far enough under the car to see if the bracket was broken.

Does this noise go away with at off road pipe or high flow cat? I really want to get rid of this noise, please post any possible solutions.

·
Registered
35 Posts
yes the noise does go away with the ORP I just got mine put on and the best thing about it is that there is no bracket rattling and the extra power is nice too

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes the noise does go away with the ORP I just got mine put on and the best thing about it is that there is no bracket rattling and the extra power is nice too
That's a good excuse to buy an ORP. Where did you get your ORP put on? I thought muffler shops wouldn't do it because it's illegal. Is the car loud during normal driving with the ORP, or just when you step on it?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I got it done at my tune shop here in stamford ct its not loud when your'e driving until you get on it then at about 5000 rpms it sounds crazy such an improvement

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just when I thought the noise couldn't get any more annoying, it did. Now everytime I start my car cold I get to listen to the most horrible vibration noise constantly for a good couple of minutes and I hear the noise a little hear and there when I'm driving. My fiance used to tell me I was hearing things but yesterday even she comented on how bad it had gotten.

I talked to a previous SVTf owner who told me that Ford is required by law to warranty their exhaust system for atleast 80,000 miles. Is this true?

What is the best way to fix this problem? Remove heat shield? Replace the CAT with a high-flow model?

·
Registered
163 Posts
When I was having rattle issues a while back I thought it was the cat heatshield, but it acutally turned out to be the cat bracket. Sometimes it acutally corrodes and breaks all together. The only bad part is that depending on what part is broken, you cannot just replace the bracket, instead you have to replace the cat.

My cat bracket is currently broken -the rattle is annoying as hell but ok to drive. Ford said they'll replace it under warranty, but the cat is on back-order until October.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I called Ford and they said this problem is common on the SVT because it is so low??? He told me my cat bracket was broken and they would not fix it because the bracket is not covered under the emissions warranty. He said if the bracket was broken I hit something and it was my fault. He told me I had to take it to a muffler shop to get it welded.

I took my car to a muffler shop today to see about fixing this rattle. When my car was up on the lift it was obvious the "cat-bracket" was not broken. There actually isn't any bracket attached to the cat at all, the only bracket down there is quite large and wouln't be possible to break from where it is positioned under the car. There was a bolt in the upper heat shild that went through the heat shield. He replaced the screw with a larger washer, but when I pulled the car out I still heard the same rattle.

He took one listen and said, "Your catalytic converter is broken, it has melted on the inside and it needs to be replaced." He told me to take it to Ford and make them fix it under the emmisions warranty. He even showed me the inside of a broken cat and gave me a piece to show the Ford dealer.

I'm going to Ford to get them to fix this, I'll post what happens later.

·
Registered
426 Posts
you know how they named the cobra and lighting, they shudda named the SVTF the Rattler, not because it is after a snake (like the cobra), but the darn thing does nothing but rattle

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
At Last my SVT is fixed and rattle free!!! I jacked my car up today and found the guilty suspect. It was a broken cat bracket! The problem is you could not see where it was broken from under the car, you have to feel where it is broken. Since I read a few replies about broken cat brackets, I started feeling around where I couldn't see and I found where it had snapped. The good part is that this piece was removable, it is held in by four bolts that surprisingly came off with not too much pain.

I bought some thick steel from OSH and cut a few pieces to re-inforce the broken bracket. I drilled some holes to bolt the pices togather and ended up with a pretty burly cat bracket that seems much stronger than stock. I re-installed my modified bracket and now my car is rattle free!!! I'm loving it, silence is golden.

Thanks to everyone who posted and pointed me in the right direction, I couldn't have done it without the Jet!

If any of you have an annoying rattle check this bracket out, it is too thin and a poor design.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts