Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here so I hope I'm posting this properly. I have a 2001 Focus with 116,000 Mi., automatic, Zetec. Engine runs fine. The problem is a vibration, very loud, when I start the car; especially prominent on these (now) cold mornings. As the car warms up, after about 15 minutes, the vibration lessens but still seems to be there, slightly. It's on the right front side. Anyone guess as to what the problem is?

Newbie in CT

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Welcome to Focaljet.

Do you feel any vibrations parked or in gear? What about in reverse? What about at the stop lights?

Given your car's age and mileage, I have a feeling it may be your motor mounts. There are three: driver's side; passenger side, and transmission/engine underneath the car.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Depending on how severe the viration is (grinding vs thumping) it could be a pulley bearing or water pump bearing, or it could be a passager mount.

It is also possible for the timing belt idler and tensioner to allow the belt to drift into contact with the inside of the mount bracket, and that will grind and vibrate a little harsher than just a bearing going out. You can tell if it's that by removing the timing cover and seeing if you belt is moving off the cam gears.

Look at and wiggle everything mentioned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. In answer to GapBoysPCS questions, the vibration can be felt both parked and in gear when cold. I've done a lot more research regarding this problem both on this site & the internet. Seems the right front motor mount is the problem & often fails at high mileage. The vibration lessens when warm because the fluid/gel in the mount warms up. There are even videos on YouTube showing how to replace the mount- not too difficult if you have the right jacks, which I don't. I have to go to Pep Boys to buy some things. While there, I'll ask how much to replace the mount.

Newbie in CT

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Mine was my weights were off on my tires and I was getting some nasty vibrations, but if you are getting it in gear then like you said motor mount.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
If you are going to replace the motor mount, INSIST on a Ford or Motorcraft part. People have posted they used generic aftermarket parts that fail fairly quickly.

I would also suggest maybe asking around for a good independent shop that can do the work for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update- this site is great. I'm giving you "How the story ended" which I wish more posters would do. After considerable internet research & using this site, I was 99% sure it was the right front motor mount. To save the diagnostic fee, I had a local Pep Boys order the Ford part & install it. That was the problem. Total with parts + labor= $138. Not bad.:thumbup:

JBCT

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Update- this site is great. I'm giving you "How the story ended" which I wish more posters would do. After considerable internet research & using this site, I was 99% sure it was the right front motor mount. To save the diagnostic fee, I had a local Pep Boys order the Ford part & install it. That was the problem. Total with parts + labor= $138. Not bad.:thumbup:

JBCT
Awesome! :thumbup:

I really wish more people would tell how their story ended, too. :( Would make it much easier to diagnose stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts