Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2000 ZX3 Focus and while driving on the freeway this weekend I noticed a vibration on my steering wheel above 75 mph. The car was also pulling slightly to the right, which it didn't do before. Is this a balancing problem or something else? What should I do?
Thanks,
bart.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Try having the wheels balanced to cure the vibration. If it's still there, then you're looking at another cause, such as bad alignment, a bent rim, drivetrain and/or suspension damage.

Have you gone over any curbs or bad potholes before you noticed this problem?

·
Banned
5,338 Posts
could be a tire like a slipped belt also. and make sure that the wheels are torqued down

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice! I have to bring my car to the dealer for its 80k maintenance shortly and I will stress on those things.
thanks again.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You might try rotating the tires...sometime you can get a few thousand more vibration free miles out of a set of tires by putting the bad tire on the rear depending on how bad it is.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Unless you're in one of the few states that has a speed limit that high (or you're not in the states at all), just go under 75 mph. problem solved, ticket avoided

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
About the tire rotation: the tires only have 20k miles, so that shouldn't be the problem right? Also, the vibration occured to me when driving down from San Fransisco to San Diego last weekend. It didn't occur to me at all while driving up there 2 days before, and I don't remember hitting a bump or dip in the road ... I also didn't notice the car pulling to the left at 80 Mph before (and it doesn't do that at low speeds, also no vibration at low speeds)

About disapearing if I go faster: I didn't seem to decrease but I didn't go over 85 Mph. It's probably a mechanical resonance mode due to an inbalance somewhere and if I would go much faster, it would probably dissapear, I agree on that.

About the speed limit: It was in the middle of the desert (300 miles straight) between LA and Frisco, speed limit was 70 Mph. I was almost alone on the freeway so 80 - 85 Mph is not that outrageous :).

BTW: Great gas mileage on the freeway : 32-34 miles/gallon (compared to 23-25 in city traffic) (FOCUS ZX3, 2.0 Zetec)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts