Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am tossing up between the Pipercross Viper Induction kit and the K&N FIPK. I have already sourced a distributor for the Viper and have recieved a quote, but am still trying to find one for the FIPK. Both seem quite good and my choice will come down to the price, unless I can be informed otherwise.

Has anyone tried both of these intakes and noticed a significant difference between them? I notice that Viper connects to the stock factory tubing to the throttlebody, while the FIPK totally replaces this. Could more gains be obtained from the Viper if this tubing was replaced aswell?

I was also looking at the Volant intake, but I can only source this from overseas and I do not like the shipping charges.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
the K&N had VERY good gains *cough*15hp*cough* on one of the test cars so I'd consider it, but if I could get a Volant I would if I were you, its GREAT!!!

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
You'll probably find people who have tried one or the other, but I doubt you'll find anyone who's tried Both.
I confess, I don't know too much about the Viper.
I have the k&n FIPK, and must say I'm VERY Happy with it. Nice gains, nice sound, good looks, well-designed kit.
The Volant would be MY second choice, but I understand your Aussie Circumstances. (Re-stated for those who don't read your "From", and wonder why you'd have to shop "Overseas"
)
The FIPK's replacement of the stock tubing w/ the Smooth plastic tube Appears to be a big Plus. I can't quote the science behind it, but it seems that a nice smooth "Jet" would flow better than the factory part.
Another nice benefit of the FIPK is that the hole that allows air from the stock forward-facing "Snorkel" is easily cut to a larger size to allow the use of the Larger SVT Snorkel to draw more air from the front of the car at speed, in addition to the air immediately surrounding the cone filter.
I highly recommend it to anyone in any country where it's available.

·
Registered
24,330 Posts
Originally posted by PGZX3:
the K&N had VERY good gains *cough*15hp*cough* on one of the test cars so I'd consider it, but if I could get a Volant I would if I were you, its GREAT!!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hey, no disrespect, but I guarantee that NONE of the intakes on the market today for the Focus will give 15 HP. We've dyno tested just about every intake I can think of for different customers and there is just no way that kind of gain is to be expected. The only way you would see those types of numbers is if you were to have a crazy race engine and then add the intake system as the last modification.

I recall AEM claiming 14 hp for their Focus intake kit, but when SCC tested it WITH an exhaust it only gave 7 hp. Hmmmmm...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts