Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I want to do some modding to my car, and was wondering what would exactly void my warranty?

I have the new 5 year, 100,000 mile power train warranty from Ford, and my car has almost 3,000 miles on it.

So, what shouldn't I do?

Can I put on an aftermarket muffler?

-=J=-

·
Registered
470 Posts
Here's what some dealers say...You can do whatever you want to your car. But if something breaks and the aftermarket part is "found" to cause the issue then the dealer will not consider it "under warrenty"

In simple terms, do what you want, if something breaks the dealer will blame the aftermarket part.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
if u question ur warranty when thinkin of moddin' ur car and ur not able/comfortable w/puttin it back 2 stock when somethin goes wrong....

...then dont mod ur car.

-Ult

·
Registered
662 Posts
Originally posted by Jamie Herrington:
So, what shouldn't I do?

Can I put on an aftermarket muffler?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Muffler, shouldn't cause any concern. Consider this, if you went to Midas or one of those other cheap exhaust companies for a new exhaust, would that void your powertrain warranty?

Here is the link to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act on SEMA, http://www.sema.org/content/?id=22238

·
Registered
744 Posts
every dealer is different so it's the best idea to talk to them

·
Registered
744 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Another thing to consider is that if you have warrenty work done and an aftermarket part is causing interference, they may charge you hourly to do the removal and reinstallation of the part.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Originally posted by FociD00d02:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Very good advice!

Yes, there are laws protecting you being unjustly denied warranty, but it can be a LONG process. Ultimately, your dealer has the power to push something through on warranty or they can make you fight for it. Find out how they feel about what you plan to add. Call a few other dealers too. Here, there are dozens in the area and some are more "mod friendly" than others.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts