Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the volant intake the best out there? I doesnt seem to look any more effective than a stock box? Does the actual end of the pipe ( the one that sucks the air up from behind the headlite)get low enough to pull cold air? What hp gains have been found and who sells it the cheapest?

[ 07-30-2002: Message edited by: LEE ]</p>

·
Registered
47 Posts
well, that was the first mod that I ever did to my car and absolutly loved it. No numbers tho, but many people have great things to say about it. I find that the inlet behide the headlight sucks in some cooler air, but here in the south with temps in the 95-100 range with near 90% humidity, nothing seems to want to run very good. This is seamingly the best buy out there, go for it

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Volant is the best designed intake our there. i havent had any problem with sucking in hot air. I live in south carolina, even in heavy traffic it still perform damn good.its better than any open intake(aem,cool flo, etc.). matter of fact im going to had a ram air system to my volant really soon.volant is the mike jordan of intakes!!!

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I don't know if anyone is going to be able to answer for me or not. Do you think that the Volant would bolt up to a SVT? I don't know much about this intake but keep hearing that it's the best one out there. Any info would be helpful

·
Registered
222 Posts
The volant was my first mod and I love it. Couldn't be happier with it. The sound is great and the performance is all there. Cool thing about it is that when you are just riding around, you don't even know it's there, then when you punch it, it just wakes up your engine! You can also buy a ram-air hood adapter and suck in cold air passing over the top of your hood and you could buy some "home-depot" adapters to attach to it so you suck up "colder" air... The box isn't restrictive in anyway...it shields the filter from hot air. This is the coolest system out there, you'd love it!

·
Registered
47 Posts

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by J-Rod:
I don't know if anyone is going to be able to answer for me or not. Do you think that the Volant would bolt up to a SVT? <hr></blockquote>

im going to say no, but im not totally sure. i think the throttle body is in a different place, and mounts differently, so it wouldn't fit without modification and/or being creative. just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
got my volant from modernperformance....newedge performance sells them as well. I love my volant and will soon be mating it w/ a focus central hood. for a little more go power (hopefully)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just installed my Volant today. Previously I had done the Ice Man Clone deal with a K&N drop in. The Volant is definitely an improvement. The cone filter is bigger than it looked in pictures. Smoother acceleration all the way through the RPM range. More punch than before from 4K up. Sounds much better. No regrets.
I am planning to add the SVT snorkel also. Anyone have any recommendations where to buy one?

·
Registered
309 Posts
I agree that the volant has a great design, but I bout my AEM when I saw all the project cars out there had one.

My $0.2

Miguel

G

·
0 Posts
Does the bottom part of that volant open ? Won't it suck hot air from the bottom then ?

zx3kona, the svt snorkel is available at www.fordparts.com please do search on svt thread for the part number, I'm too lazy to do that again
It's cheap though, like $23 shipped or something.

=dRe

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well i helped put wedge1212's volant intake it. I was impressed on the intake, but at the same time i had doubts about its efectiveness....being he doesn have the ram air hood yet. But i bet when he gets that hood it'll be much more effective!

·
Registered
47 Posts
well, I put masking tape over the hole untill I can fab up a tube to the front bumper for real cold air

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
which hole? the big one on the top? cause that'll seal up when the hood goes down. or one of the inlet holes....btw i have the SVT snorkel hooked up....it takes some modification but it works. i'll snap some pics asap

·
Registered
375 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by aha:
Does the bottom part of that volant open ? Won't it suck hot air from the bottom then ?

zx3kona, the svt snorkel is available at www.fordparts.com please do search on svt thread for the part number, I'm too lazy to do that again
It's cheap though, like $23 shipped or something.

=dRe
<hr></blockquote>

Aha... The Volant is in a box, bottom accepts the snorkle tube only, and is not wide open. Air is also drawn from behind the head light to the side of the box. Top is sealed by the hood.

[ 07-31-2002: Message edited by: 1BadEgg ]</p>

G

·
0 Posts
Cool, so it only draws air from the snorkel pipe and another pipe behind the headlight ? Sorry, I call them pipes

My only conern before was just that it may draw some hot air from the bottom like cool flo.
I guess it's not.

=dRe=

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by StayPuffZX3:
i love my volant. i got it from tony at newedge performance. it works real good with the fc cf hood.<hr></blockquote>

Ditto!!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts