Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Volant isn't a big mod or anything, but should I have reset the ECU?

·
Registered
322 Posts
i second that-i forgot to after i put in my Volant and a few days later the car ran like arse-all better after the 'ol unplug

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I disconnect the battery when I reset my ECU and leave it overnight-I don't think it needs anywhere near that long but it's easy to do it that way (in my opinion it's easier than disconnecting the ECU) and it definitly works. All you have to do then is reconnect the battery and drive off. Your radio should retain station memory but you will heve to reset the clock.
A few notes about the Volant-the rubber gasket didn't mate up perfectly with my hood and also had a small gap where the edges met. I put a piece of clear Plexi, sealed with clear silicone, over the top of the Volant (easy to rwmove and service the filter element) to completely seal it off and then closed off the stock air tube opening and ran 3.5" hose under the front fender (can you say "Sawzall"?). You might want to use the Iceman intake hooked up to the stock opening (enlarge it to equal the diameter of the Iceman) to the Volant and then seal off the other opening in the Volant. Otherwise you will still be sucking in at least some hot underhood air.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Originally posted by nordy200:
I disconnect the battery when I reset my ECU and leave it overnight-I don't think it needs anywhere near that long but it's easy to do it that way (in my opinion it's easier than disconnecting the ECU) and it definitly works. All you have to do then is reconnect the battery and drive off. Your radio should retain station memory but you will heve to reset the clock.
A few notes about the Volant-the rubber gasket didn't mate up perfectly with my hood and also had a small gap where the edges met. I put a piece of clear Plexi, sealed with clear silicone, over the top of the Volant (easy to rwmove and service the filter element) to completely seal it off and then closed off the stock air tube opening and ran 3.5" hose under the front fender (can you say "Sawzall"?). You might want to use the Iceman intake hooked up to the stock opening (enlarge it to equal the diameter of the Iceman) to the Volant and then seal off the other opening in the Volant. Otherwise you will still be sucking in at least some hot underhood air.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yea that is how your supposed reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery..It only needs about 30 minutes if even that long..
and yes O would do it after any modification...

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Been running a few weeks without doing that.

·
Registered
169 Posts
100% good idea...that little ECU can be a little bugger

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
just disconnect the positive lead and press down on the break pedal for 15 seconds to discharge the capacitors.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
When disconnecting your battery ALWAYS disconnect the negative first then the positive, and re-connect just the opposite. Or you risk battery explosion.

·
Registered
155 Posts
so all you have to do to reset the ecu is to unplug the battery and leave it for like 30 min?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Yep-the ECU relearns its operating parameters according to what it finds on startup (intake, exhaust mods, etc.) and accomodates them, within its limits. It takes a few driving cycles to complete the process. I like the brake pedal thing to discharge the capacitors!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
you dont need to disconnect both wires...just be safe and disconnet the negative wire...it will reset..as long as your breaking the current no need to take off both wires..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts